Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You and others are arguing the hat from your personal view. Not of professional image.

No one has argued why the hat has a negative professional conotation, only a personal.

Why don't we wear hats to our interviews? That is the day we care the most about our professional appearance and yet, no hat. Why don't businessmen wear hats?

Why do bellhops wear the hat when they load taxi's?

I've only been mistaken for a curbside assistant when wearing a hat. Especially an FO hat, which looks ridiculous.

Ties you see- and they are going away at some places too. I'm not scared of that bc I don't make a surface level assumption of professionalism based on an accessory.

I'm just not into hats. NOONE wears a hat in the business world anymore bc it's not 1947.

Again, professional appearance is way more about a fit, healthy body, shined shoes, and ironed fresh and new threads- AND a calm clear demeanor- than a silly hat.

Btw- I wasnt completely tongue in cheek about that idea. I wouldn't mind adding something to the uniform to dilineate experience- I do think passengers would like to see how experienced and qualified their crew is. Something that you can't just buy at a uniform shop, but means something industry wide-
maybe that could stop some of this outsourcing crap and actually lead to higher wages.

My company- well above my head- with the consent of my union and flt ops leaders have deemed the hat optional.
A professional pilot flies the a/c the way their company wants it flown. And wears the uniform the way the company wants it worn.
They pay my paycheck, not any of you- and I am in complete compliance every day on the job-
I will support your efforts to remind us all to show up to work with pride in our appearance. I simply disagree that the hat is part of the equation.
UALRATT- you're right- many analogies I used were less than perfect. No gel in my hair though man
Rez- see previous posts- we will have to agree to disagree.
Hat wearers at my airline tend to signify a lack of self esteem and an over reaching ego- not all, mind you- but many- and from many people's experience it's a signal that the pairing may not be too fun- (and no- not fun does not=more professional/ usually less professional actually- though the hat wearer will be convinced they are doing the job better than everyone)
I've never been able to make this stereotype at any other airline- the hat was the hat- sometimes you wore it- sometimes you didn't and no one cared-
which is where I'll bow out- I just don't care about the hat.
There's too many other things I care about to waste another keystroke on it- like:
calm clear demeanors
competence and well studied- ready to answer questions without struggling
fit and healthy- (though ready to drink!) just do some situps- no excuse for bellyfat- it's dangerous and looks like hell
shoes shined and new
clothes fresh and ironed
hair clean cut and well groomed- which means trim out your nose hairs- and gummers: trim your ear hair - everyone keep your neckline shaved- eyebrows- I support dems but don't want to see a Dukakis brow - just get the barber to trim them- no wax necessary
show care to your passengers- be available to answer questions- ie- use your cell phone in private out of the public eye- same with iPods-
take care of your people - go out of the way to buy coffee and chocolate- even for an occassional pax- tell them you appreciate them traveling- buy coffee for the cops
look people in the eye- don't be shifty eyed shady- or too egotistical to converse-
get sleep as well as you can- have fun

or better yet - only do that if you work at WN- the rest of you- wear your hats - but keep doing the opposite like you have been

I put a shot in a few pages ago. I agree with all of you that the hat is outdated. But Rez and PCl are right. The less you push to be different, the more you are the same. If you get rid of hats, the picket line (if it would get that far) looks like some airline employees. Could be anything at that point. Mechs, FA's, pilots, who knows. That is not to lessen the importance of each group, btw. I refuse to apply anywhere because nobody's hard nosed enough to take a stand. Until this occupation, it is not a career at this point, advances, I abstain. Wear your hat, it's about all you have left in the sea of mediocrity.

Tell you what, make the seniority number a real number recognized by any ALPA carrier rather than this silly crap we have now and I'll wear whatever you want; till then take your hats, extra stripes, longevity thongs and whatever else and sod off...it's not happening. Just as big D how that "legendary" hat enforcement is going...I see more without hats than with these days.

:D

And then I am going to take ALL of my toys and go home!!

Hey REZ!! How about that awesome ALPA magazine I got with a huge group of ALPA officers on the cover without thier hats. Some werent even wearing thier coats. Whats better is part of the magazine was dedicated to professional image. Maybe you should start with having the union officers set an example!!

Sort of like many corporate/charter/private pilots! Are you suggesting that they are not professional?

This whole hat debate is old. Get over it. If you want to wear one, so be it. As for standing out in an airport...who gives a rats a$$. Id rather not be bothered with the ridiculous questions that people ask anyways. And if you cant point out the pilot where its important (on the plane), then you may have some other issues you have to take of.

Lol- hear hear! I haven't had to wear a hat in years, but back when I did, the last question I got that was triggered by the hat was an elderly lady on a subway platform asking me "are you with the Salvation Army?" I also had pax try and hand me their bags curbside at LGA.

For those who feel a hat makes them look professional- why not give them the option of having a super-sized peak on their hat, sticking forward about ten inches, like Soviet (and I assume still Russian) officers if it gives them a thrill. Maybe even add in some medals for superior airmanship. http://www.flickr.com/photos/errolwb/3515723268/

Last edited:
No doubt pilots are enjoying the ability to shun their hats. It is easier and comfortable without it. Then again, being a professional isn't about being easy or comfortable.

Here is an article on the iconic doctors white coat
http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/pr...ts-for-Doctors

While the argument, in the article, against the white doctors coat includes transferring germs/disease and creating anxiety in patients, these traits are not applicable to the pilot hats. In fact one could argue that the Airline Hat can reassure passengers, especially in the rare evacuation. Excerpts from the article include:

As management continues to devalue the pilot profession which includes blending us in with other airline workers as the same (such as gate agents and FAs)..... This is already being effectively done at Jetblue and Virgin America.
Consider:
[John Q. Public approaches an Air Line Pilot]

John Q. Public- Are you an airline pilot?
Pilot- yes, why do you ask?
JQP- it isn't as easy to recognize you guys so much, you don't wear your hats
Pilot- it isn't required like it used to be
JQP- really? as a kid growing up I could always spot you guys, now, its harder, often you just look like businessmen or even Flight Attendants.
Pilot- (sarcastic tone) How flattering, times change I guess
JQP- How come I see you guys wearing hats in the newspaper?
Pilot- what do you mean?
JQP- Well you are carrying signs and wearing hats.
Pilot- That is probably picketing.
JQP- What's that?
Pilot- That is when we get together and demonstrate for better pay and work rules.
JQP- So whats the difference?
Pilot- er, uh, I don't follow....??
JQP- Well, what is the difference between picketing and everyday? Is picketing real or just an act?
Pilot- No, its real.
JQP- Then why not be consistently genuine?
Pilot- er...... uh..... I've got a flight to catch....

You need to get laid. I mean my god man! In the time it took you to post this you could have easily rubbed one out!

P.S. I wear my hat only when on duty, the pax don't care and neither do I. All they care about it the lowest fare. Who the F cares what the under paying passenger thinks? It won't change a thing.

Last edited:
My company- well above my head- with the consent of my union and flt ops leaders have deemed the hat optional.
A professional pilot flies the a/c the way their company wants it flown. And wears the uniform the way the company wants it worn.
They pay my paycheck, not any of you- and I am in complete compliance every day on the job-
I will support your efforts to remind us all to show up to work with pride in our appearance. I simply disagree that the hat is part of the equation.
UALRATT- you're right- many analogies I used were less than perfect. No gel in my hair though man
Rez- see previous posts- we will have to agree to disagree.
Hat wearers at my airline tend to signify a lack of self esteem and an over reaching ego- not all, mind you- but many- and from many people's experience it's a signal that the pairing may not be too fun- (and no- not fun does not=more professional/ usually less professional actually- though the hat wearer will be convinced they are doing the job better than everyone)
I've never been able to make this stereotype at any other airline- the hat was the hat- sometimes you wore it- sometimes you didn't and no one cared-
which is where I'll bow out- I just don't care about the hat.
There's too many other things I care about to waste another keystroke on it- like:
calm clear demeanors
competence and well studied- ready to answer questions without struggling
fit and healthy- (though ready to drink!) just do some situps- no excuse for bellyfat- it's dangerous and looks like hell
shoes shined and new
clothes fresh and ironed
hair clean cut and well groomed- which means trim out your nose hairs- and gummers: trim your ear hair - everyone keep your neckline shaved- eyebrows- I support dems but don't want to see a Dukakis brow - just get the barber to trim them- no wax necessary
show care to your passengers- be available to answer questions- ie- use your cell phone in private out of the public eye- same with iPods-
take care of your people - go out of the way to buy coffee and chocolate- even for an occassional pax- tell them you appreciate them traveling- buy coffee for the cops
look people in the eye- don't be shifty eyed shady- or too egotistical to converse-
get sleep as well as you can- have fun

or better yet - only do that if you work at WN- the rest of you- wear your hats - but keep doing the opposite like you have been

Man, anybody that good looking in a uniform and takes that good a care of himself has got to be gay. Or at least Metro-Sexual.

I'm just saying.

Hey REZ!! How about that awesome ALPA magazine I got with a huge group of ALPA officers on the cover without thier hats. Some werent even wearing thier coats. Whats better is part of the magazine was dedicated to professional image. Maybe you should start with having the union officers set an example!!

Agreed!

Latest resources

Back