Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much will you trade for it?

Caution: If your pilot group reaches a consensus that hats should go, don't let management know that this is of any real importance to you. They will try to use it as a bargaining chip in lieu of a pay raise or scope protection. In the beancounter world, there is no such thing as a "no-cost item". :pimp:

Tread carefully, Rez. That is what I made at a "major regional" my first year.
You and most of us. Big deal. I want it higher. Now again... you suggested that the hat is irrelevant and that other ways are worth the effort... in fact you stated:

find something more significant to worry about.
Fair enough... what is more significant?

As far as the rest of your post, I would have thought you were smart enough to realize that the hat does one thing to us. It reminds us that no matter how important we think we are, we are blue collar labor and we shall remain in our place.
Correct. Does shucking the hat make us feel more and look like business men. White collar MBAs that sit in first class, drink scotch at the Club and snub and sneer at blue collar labor?

We are blue collar labor. Time to look and act the part.

Actually wms-
I think your view of our professionalism is clouded by nostalgia. And everything was perfect in the 50's too, right?
Or I could give you the laundry list of accidents from every era that would make the sterile cockpit violations of colgan look rather tame.
Sorry Rez, you're fighting a losing battle when it comes to the hat- it's optional at most places and it's not coming back- better to concentrate on things that would register as more important to most of us.

I'm pretty sure the comment about a few extra bucks and more respect was tongue in cheek-
I get respect everywhere I go- and appearance is part of it- but so is demeanor and action- and I can't find any correlation to a hat and how we negotiate our money- I've seen some really sharp uniforms put on by some really young pilots not making much at all- I think you all should worry about rj's and outsourcing way more than a hat. How about majors stop selling out .... That would be MUCH more helpful

That image is part of our identity. As management treats us like airport workers and not professionals, more and more, we will start to believe it. Why should we be paid more if we are just like everyone else working at the airport. Why should we be paid more if mgmnt and ourselves don't believe it. If the public thinks we look professional and we act and look professional we'll start to believe.... and be it.

How much bargining power do hats have in a bankruptcy? If a group of pilots had worn their hats steadfast in the past, would this actually provide more leverage?

"...but Sir, our pilots always wore their hats. Show some leniency"

Really...

Wear the uniform and look professional.

I am a hat guy. I usually get a complement from an FA (female) or passenger every trip regarding the hat.

Right. Dream on brother. I wore a hat (and the USN style blazer) at Delta for many years and not once got a positive comment from anyone about the uniform except during Christmas tie season.

At SWA I often hear positive comments about my flag ties and the leather flight jacket. Not one comment about my lack of hat.

FA (females) also like my semi-white shirts and my Old Spice after shave. ;)

Hat wearers do stand out at SWA though - not in a good way.

Whataburger, With all do respect do you have have clue how it sounds for a SWA pilot bashing ALPA sounds?
Through all the ups and down of this industry, if not for ALPA and the work they have done over the years, we would all be much worse off, including SWA pilots.
There really is very little difference between ALPA and SWAPA. They are both just the vehicle for pilots to be organized and try to do what is best for everyone they represent.

Sure there is probably some irony in my responses. I have been part of alpa airlines more than this SWAPA airline. How someome or something (a union) responds in tough times shows what they're made of. My opinion is that alpa has done nothing for pilots since 2000.

Through the "ups and downs" in the last 10 yrs SWAPA has done okay. I can't say the same for alpa.

I'm not a big union fan to begin with. They are a necessary evil.

The hat means you're owned by management. It's their little remote which controls your brain. You give in to the hat. No one aspires to wear that ridiculous thing. Sorry.

Or management will punish you. We just got the memo. After April 5th the pilots of AA will be counseled and then removed from the trip when not in uniform. It is in our FM Part I what the uniform standards are, and they are not subject to our or my interpretation.

At roughly $117 an hour I can not afford the loss of a 24 hour trip. So I guess in your eyes I am now going to be management stooge. Oh well.

AA

After 10 years now have to wear the darn thing...:(

But see, that's okay?
We shouldn have anti-authority issues. As professionals we can give input, but ultimately have bosses- we ought to fly and look how our bosses would like us to. That gives us credibility.
An exec at AA was once quoted "we have no motivation to ever pay our pilots bc they will be miserable no matter what"

my first thought is that is awful management- but we should also ask ourselves if we are good employees and will accept leadership?

Thankfully Sully/Skiles' event...... and the image they projected about the profession has breathed new life into our plight.

I dont know what your talking about I saw the SOB in a st. jude commercial WITHOUT his hat!! That bastard his pulling down our profession. Thank God he retired!

A couple more times in uniform without it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_MTl3z0O4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny7mMmQILLs

He cant even wear it on his book cover only holding it. I bet you are sure glad they removed ALPA as thier union. We cant have guys like that as members!

http://www.amazon.com/Highest-Duty-Search-Really-Matters/dp/0061924687

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back