Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whataburger, With all do respect do you have have clue how it sounds for a SWA pilot bashing ALPA sounds?
Through all the ups and down of this industry, if not for ALPA and the work they have done over the years, we would all be much worse off, including SWA pilots.
There really is very little difference between ALPA and SWAPA. They are both just the vehicle for pilots to be organized and try to do what is best for everyone they represent.

Last edited:
This isn't a alpa/ Swapa debate- let's not do that.
Thoughts on the hat: (not to be confused w/ me caring too much either way)

1- 40's and 50's style carried on this long? The tradition started with style...
2- if we're going w/ 40's tradition, then it's rude to wear a hat indoors- why are we wearing them in the terminal? Mil guys can tell me if they wear their hats inside

I'm the one that thinks that it shows leadership when I don't place myself "above" the FAs, CSAs, and rampers- everywhere I've worked, I will load bags, carry up strollers, clean the cabin, and push wheelchairs- I'll also take care of my fellow workers in whatever way I can- coffee, food, chocolate- an orgasm for the occasional hot FA or pilot- spell them for a break if it's legal- Im not "above" any of that and in fact take a lot of pride in that sort of work - Leadership does matter- and know that it is, for lack of a less corny word, inspirational in whatever small way to the rest of my team-
I'm pretty sure that one thoughtful look at the flight deck and noone's confused about my education and professionalism.

I will show up to work with uniform pressed, and a calm thoughtful mind- but always ready to get dirty in order to serve my customers and get the job done.

You can argue with that if you like- but I'll probably be the one out-performing you, so that's ok with me. Professionalism is a total package of demeanor, hard work, competency, and appearance- I'll take all 4- and in that mix, the hat doesn't register tremendously high on that list when my bosses have deemed it optional.

And I REALLY don't think the hat being optional is a root cause on ANY level for any substandard pay anywhere.

Last edited:
Man, am I glad the really, really important things are targeted for improving the profession.

I have to agree with most of what waveflyer has said. I work for an airline where. as a political move, the company made the hat optional. Wwhy wouldn't they. I think they were in there office and celebrated when we, UAL ALPA, degraded our own uniform. "Oh look the pilots want to lower the standard they had for years."
I also work for a company where we switch back end crews almost every flight. During the winter when we are all wearing coats, nobody can tell who is who until we sit down in our respective seats. This forum is full of disgruntled people that don't care about the profession. That's fine it's your life. I for one think three things should stay constant
1. You want paid like a professional, look like one.
2. You want the public to have any degree of respect for you, look the part.
3. DO NOT allow scumbags like Glen Tilton lower your own level of professionalism. Is that the attitude that got you the job? If you allow that, he wins.

In the end, I personally opt to wear the hat.

No doubt pilots are enjoying the ability to shun their hats. It is easier and comfortable without it. Then again, being a professional isn't about being easy or comfortable.

Here is an article on the iconic doctors white coat
http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/pr...ts-for-Doctors

While the argument, in the article, against the white doctors coat includes transferring germs/disease and creating anxiety in patients, these traits are not applicable to the pilot hats. In fact one could argue that the Airline Hat can reassure passengers, especially in the rare evacuation. Excerpts from the article include:

As management continues to devalue the pilot profession which includes blending us in with other airline workers as the same (such as gate agents and FAs)..... This is already being effectively done at Jetblue and Virgin America.
Consider:
[John Q. Public approaches an Air Line Pilot]

John Q. Public- Are you an airline pilot?
Pilot- yes, why do you ask?
JQP- it isn't as easy to recognize you guys so much, you don't wear your hats
Pilot- it isn't required like it used to be
JQP- really? as a kid growing up I could always spot you guys, now, its harder, often you just look like businessmen or even Flight Attendants.
Pilot- (sarcastic tone) How flattering, times change I guess
JQP- How come I see you guys wearing hats in the newspaper?
Pilot- what do you mean?
JQP- Well you are carrying signs and wearing hats.
Pilot- That is probably picketing.
JQP- What's that?
Pilot- That is when we get together and demonstrate for better pay and work rules.
JQP- So whats the difference?
Pilot- er, uh, I don't follow....??
JQP- Well, what is the difference between picketing and everyday? Is picketing real or just an act?
Pilot- No, its real.
JQP- Then why not be consistently genuine?
Pilot- er...... uh..... I've got a flight to catch....

Get a life.

I wear my hat during the entire flight with my headset over the top. I've gotten a lot of comments from flight attendants and I seem to get more respect.

Latest resources

Back