• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Air Marshall Program in Trouble?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is a typical work week for a air marshall.....how much do they bring in their first year?

This just in, to supplement the struggling FAM program, FFDO's will now be positive-spaced wherever they go if they agree to act as FAM's.

Could work great for commuters! :)

Yeah...acting as FAM's could work VERY good for commuters. I'd gladly pay any possible out of pocket expenses and put up with the recurrent & re-qualification training required of FFDO's to ensure positive-space seating whenever I have to commute for work. ;)

What is a typical work week for a air marshall.....how much do they bring in their first year?

A friend of mine is a FAM, based in the west, and was one of the first FAMs after 9/11.

He says that it is very much like being aircrew from a schedule standpoint, they go out on a 3 or 4 day, and know the sequence they are flying; carriers and flight numbers and so on. If they misconnect, they call their system control and get a reroute to another flight - who creates all of their bookings and so on.

Hell, if I were a FAM, I could read War and Peace in about a week

airport screeners are being employed to fill the dwindling ranks.

double yikes!

Yeah...acting as FAM's could work VERY good for commuters. I'd gladly pay any possible out of pocket expenses and put up with the recurrent & re-qualification training required of FFDO's to ensure positive-space seating whenever I have to commute for work.

And if there still weren't enough, the fedgov could reimburse airlines for providing S3 status to active duty law enforcement professionals, allowing them to travel armed for 'free'.

According to the job listing on usajobs.gov, it depends on which tier for which you qualify when joining. But, assuming, you're not military or already a GS-9, you will start out making in the 30's including LEAP. If you are military or have a PhD in law enforcement (not really kidding on that, whatever that is), then you could start out a bit higher, but the highest you'll ever see if you work your way to the top is in the high 80's, IIRC.

Do the FAMs just fly around and have no other responsibilities? Just curious. I guess if I just wanted a job where I could chill out and read a lot of books and listen to podcasts all day, that would be one.

Latest resources

Back