• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The age old headset debate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, you have your opinion, I have mine, we'll just leave it at that. By the way, I DO get it. I understand that the Bose has no passive capabilities. But the others on the market, like Telex, Lightspeed, and the DC ENC's do have passive reduction in addition to the ANR. The last two seasons I was flying ag, I was using an HGU-33 helmet with an ANR conversion kit that came from Flightsuits, Ltd. in El Cajon, CA. Best investment I ever made sitting behind a 1340 radial all day. I guess you've just had a bad experience, but ANR DOES work. My experience has proven that to me, and that's all the proof I need.

Last edited:
I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to anyone I offended in any of my posts on this thread. My ribbing was good-natured in thought, but perhaps it didn't translate to the screen. For the record I don't really think that Lear does drugs or is crazy, so I apologize for suggesting that you may be on drugs or crazy. I'm a sarcastic person by nature (I think that a midwest thing), but it obviously didn't come out that way on this thread.

As far as my opinion on headsets. I have about 1200 hours using David Clarks in mostly small piston airplanes (some loud, some not so loud) and a regional jet. The remainder of my time I've used the Bose Aviation X (again in piston and a couple of RJs). I've also used a Telex 750 while jumpseating. In my opinion the Bose is the superior of the three headsets. It provides the most noise canceling and is very comfortable. The David Clarks provide the second most noise canceling but are the heaviest and a little uncomfortable after about an hour. The Telex provide little noise attenuation, but are very light. In my opinion they are totally unsuitable for anything but a quiet jet (but plenty suitable for a quiet jet for some people). I tend to weigh noise attenuation slightly higher than comfort, but the Bose provides both nicely.

Best I've Tested

Nothing like flying for 10+ continuous hours to make you appreciate a quality headset, especially when your aircraft is inherently noisy.

After lots of testing and 3000 hours of use, I would highly recommend the Pilot Avionics 17-79. They're half the price of the Bose and have better numbers than the competition. The rechargeable internal battery is another plus, and the ability to disconnect the jacks and use them as a walk around preflight headset is fantastic.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. No matter how the numbers come out or how large/small your wallet is, there will never be one perfect headset for everyone. Spend some time to try on/out the vast choices available at your local pilot shop.

http://www.pilot-avionics.com/html/html_root/independenceanr.htm

Take care, fly safe.

nosartoofar said:
Nothing like flying for 10+ continuous hours to make you appreciate a quality headset, especially when your aircraft is inherently noisy.

After lots of testing and 3000 hours of use, I would highly recommend the Pilot Avionics 17-79. They're half the price of the Bose and have better numbers than the competition. The rechargeable internal battery is another plus, and the ability to disconnect the jacks and use them as a walk around preflight headset is fantastic.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference. No matter how the numbers come out or how large/small your wallet is, there will never be one perfect headset for everyone. Spend some time to try on/out the vast choices available at your local pilot shop.

http://www.pilot-avionics.com/html/html_root/independenceanr.htm

Take care, fly safe.

I have the 17-76 model, which is the model before yours. Had it since 99, still works fine. Did have it sent it once to get upgraded and refurbished, but it still going strong. Its nice to never buy batteries, but on the other hand if it dies in flight, you dont have ANR anymore, but at least the passive part is a lot better than nothing

Stronger Batteries

No doubt the lack of remove/replace batteries can ruin a long trip, which is why I made it a policy to recharge mine after every 20 hours or so.

I spoke with the company yesterday about the differences between the 76 and 79; a stronger battery and a better processor (and cool Darth Vader finish) separate the two. They are also doing conversions to make either model cell phone-MPS-whatever you want compliant for $75. You can choose from either a panel mount adapter or a self contained version (mounts on the headset). There is also a self contained/powered light available.

Pilot is the brains and supplier to many other companies' ANR headset electronics. The major difference is the ear cup design and the cool logo (not to mention marketing).

Take care, fly safe.

Finally a pair of DC's that don't look like they are going to be head clamps. I think I might pick those up. Does anyone own a pair?

The David Clark X-11's aren't available until late July to early August. I have a feeling they're going to rip Bose a new one. You can preorder a pair from Sporty's for $799.

g

flightcom denalis... lighter than dcs, cheaper than bose, and amazing customer service. used then in all the twin radial stuff i flew and now in the crj and they are "like buttah!"

I wonder if DC is going to come out with a 12 free financing deal like Bose has? That would be great.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back