That DC-8 looks tiny.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
KigAir said:
What's the plane that is to the right of the 747 and behind the SunWorld plane? It looks small enough to be a RC plane.

Brazillia... that one?

Go for a max performance climb on that poor airplane's last flight. You will not be able to wipe the grin off your face. Depending on how full the tanks are (probably full since it is such a gas pig) you could be looking at up to 10000 feet per minute on the climb (not that the VSI goes that high). Also pop the drag chute if they will let you. That is the most amazing airplane I'll ever get my hands on so get some thrills while you have the chance. Enjoy!

By the engine pylons. On the 60 series the pylon slopes down.

Roger that Sir, my hat off to ya.

I flew the DC-8-73 for a while and never knew the diff between pylon angles on the 60 and the 70.

Learn something every day I do.

Regards

CSY Mon..

CSY Mon said:

I flew the DC-8-73 for a while and never knew the diff between pylon angles on the 60 and the 70.

Learn something every day I do.

Regards

CSY Mon..

The pylons on the 70's are also wider than the 60's. The wings on the 61 and 63 are also different, in lenght and airfoil.

Its sad to see so many 8's are being scrapped. Especially so many of the 70's that Emery had.

ATI parked some (71's) probobly never to return to the air because of D checks issues. And they were some pretty descent airplanes as far as maintenenace.

coolyokeluke said:
On Monday I'm supposed to co-pilot a Lear 25 down to Missouri where it'll be parted out. Never flown a Lear before, I guess this is the lowest time Lear 25 to go down for parts. Should be interesting. I guess if we don't "grease" the landing it won't matter too much! Always wanted to fly one of the older Lear series, I'd been told that's as close to flying a fighter as I will get as a civvie. Interesting to do it under these circumstances.

Anybody else fly airplanes for their final flights?

coolyokeluke, are you going to that scrap yard outside of Kansas City? If memory serves me right it’s a 4000 or so gravel strip. That should fun. It's the only airport in the area I have not landed on. It's a fly in and drive out sort of a place if you know what I mean.

I don't know where it is exactly, they told me the name of it and I forgot. Guess I'll find out Monday. I heard it was a 4500' gravel strip. The flight was delayed from last week because I heard the runway was soft. I hope that we can pop the drag chute there! It's just going to be a little strange depositing a perfectly good airplane (ok except for RVSM and really thirsty loud engines) someplace where it will get parted out and never flown again.

CSY Mon said:

My first thought was to see if the cabin turbo-compressor intakes were blocked off (indicating a 70 series) but the whole nose cone is gone!

I've got about 600 hours on the panel of the DC8 60 series.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back