• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

d328pilot

flying in asia
US Airways and Mesa Air Group

US Airways has reached an agreement with Mesa Air Group, Inc. to begin flying 20 additional 50-seat regional jets as part of the US Airways Express network. The first of these aircraft will begin service in December. All 20 of the regional jets will be integrated into the US Airways Express network during 2003.

As part of the agreement, which is subject to U.S. bankruptcy court approval, Mesa plans to participate in US Airways’ “Jets for Jobs” program, allowing some of this new regional jet flying to be done by furloughed US Airways pilots. Mesa Airlines currently operates as a US Airways Express carrier, using a combination of regional jets and turbo-prop aircraft in 38 US Airways markets. It operates 32 regional jets, and with its Mesa Air Group, Inc. subsidiaries, Mesa Airlines operates 41 turbo-prop aircraft as US Airways Express.

when did this happen??

Don't know the details. Did the pilots ratify this?

I need to follow my own advice: Never post when drunk or angry. Editorial comments based on insufficient information deleted by me.

Last edited:
"US Airways pilots are going to barf when they find out how much Mesa pays. Goodbye house, hello trailer park"

-Maybe you do something wrong Altimaklr, if you think you have to live in a trailer park if you make $ 60K+

I would think U pilots are more concerned with what they will get paid vs how much Mesa pilots gets paid.

----------------------------------

"Don't know the details. Did the pilots ratify this?

God, I hope not; for everyone's sake."

- The Mesa pilot group have not been given any info about this yet, except a memo from our CEO that did not give out any details. It was announced yesterday. We have not ratified anything about j4j ( yet ), probably because ( my guess ) this is still a work in progress and a part of our current contract negotiation.

Last edited:
I personally would think that the US air pilots who will be doing this flying will be happy with the pay considering the fact that they are currently furloughed and not getting paid at all. I could be wrong however.

This press release is meant to be used as leverage against the pilots of Mesa during their ongoing contract negotiations. Nothing about J4J has been voted on, ratified, or agreed upon. Management's (JO's) way of saying "If" you agree to J4J you'll have 20 additional aircraft ASAP. It's a developing/bargaining situation...

starchkr said:
I personally would think that the US air pilots who will be doing this flying will be happy with the pay considering the fact that they are currently furloughed and not getting paid at all. I could be wrong however.

From the at least he has a job guy!!! If Us AIr pilots are getting first year F/O pay they would be better off on unenployment or home depot, and they would be home every night. At least they are flying doesnt make sence if they spend more money being away from home than they would working at the quicky-mart!

chperplt is correct. 1st year CA pay for all U guys, regardless.

DOH for bidding lines, domiciles and vacancies. ALWAYS 50/50 ratio of Mesa to U guys in the U airplanes

Furlough protected if layoffs are not due to loss of U flying. e.g. if layoffs at Mesa are due to lack of WN flying, the U guys will stay on doing U flying while guys senior to them hit the street. If layoffs are due to lack of U flying, the U guys go in seniority order with the rest of the Mesa guys.

I really hope that concierj is correct and if so, that the Mesa guys vote this down as did TSA and CHQ.

I am missing something? It sounds like the Mesa guys are getting screwed...

Isn't it funny everytime a 'feeder' airline wants a flow though to their mainline counterpart, the "major" airline pilots show little to no support, and often much resistance. I guess they never figured that these agreements also work in reverse. It's just humorous to see the tables turned.

Sounds like someones a day late and a buck short.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back