Thank you Southwest airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

The other day, I flew from Baltimore to Providence. When I was leaving the airplane, I asked the flight attendant if I could say hello to the pilots and she got premission from them. The pilots were very gracious to allow me to visit the flightdeck. When I told the captain that I was a new private pilot who flew cessnas, he told me he still enjoys flying those small aircraft after all his years as a pilot.

Sounds like you got a good attitude about things. Good luck with your plans if you decide to continue.

Gag me. I tell everybody that comes up to the box office to stay clear of this industry.

I'm also dead serious when I say it too.

Aviation is for the birds!!! LOL hehe

To dream, the impossible dream.......

The captain must have been near retirement, his hair is greyer than mine. I told him that I was 45 years old, was in a dead-end job and was considering becoming an airline pilot as a second career. He told me that going from one dead end job to another isn't a good career move. I told him that I was joking about wanting to becoming an airline pilot and he let out a sigh of relief. I am suprised how small the 737 cockpit is. I amazed that airline pilots don't get back problems getting in and out of their seats. He also told me that he knows more happy flight instructors who work part time in that role than airline pilots.

I have plenty of back problems from getting in and out of that cockpit. As for starting a second career, I would have to agree with some of the other posters and not recommend getting into this career. It really is becoming a dead end job unfortunately.
Glad you had a good experience flying with us. If you're ever riding on my flight, come on up and say hi.

Last edited:
I usually don't fly the airlines, maybe one time every couple of years to see family in Providence or Boston. Even then, I take SWA or AirTran for the trip. I asked the pilot if it was hard to fly the 737 and he said no, it's actually easier than flying a small plane. He told me the plane is merely a computer with a nose, tail, and wings. He also said a pilot, no matter how advanced their skill level is or how fancy their aircraft is, needs to remain proficient in their basic flying skills as well as knowing the more technical aspects of the job. Some good words of advice from an experienced pilot to myself.

I usually don't fly the airlines, maybe one time every couple of years to see family in Providence or Boston. Even then, I take SWA or AirTran for the trip. I asked the pilot if it was hard to fly the 737 and he said no, it's actually easier than flying a small plane. He told me the plane is merely a computer with a nose, tail, and wings. He also said a pilot, no matter how advanced their skill level is or how fancy their aircraft is, needs to remain proficient in their basic flying skills as well as knowing the more technical aspects of the job. Some good words of advice from an experienced pilot to myself.

Hard to fly the 737? Most guys out of Phoenix think they're commander of the shuttle! Come on Vacancy bid!

This thread is going on 2 days, and nobody's gone Airplane on it with no1pilot2000's visit to the cockpit. You guys are slacking.

no1pilot2000, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Latest resources

Back