Thank you, AirTran

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jump Pilot

I traveled to Washington last week to secure some business to supplement my pilot salary, which right now is $0.

Booked two days in advance, roundtrip DFW-IAD with an overnight stay:

AA, coach, non-stop: $1,684.20

AirTran, business class, one stop (ATL): $820.40

Savings: $863.80

I went to a state school in Texas, but I figured out which one to pick.

In the words of that East L. A., plaid shirt wearing band Los Lobos: "How will the wolf survive?"

You could have done the same thing, book a flight today for a friday departure and return on saturday and the roundtrip fare on UAL is $656.00. (flt638/702) One stop in ORD and you arrive IAD @ 1201pm. I tried numerous other fares with only a "two day" advance purchase and most all other fares were substantially lower than your $820.40. Does not seem like a "great" deal .

3 5 0 :rolleyes:

Last edited:
350DRIVER said:
You could have done the same thing, book a flight today for a friday departure and return on saturday and the roundtrip fare on UAL is $656.00. (flt638/702) One stop in ORD and you arrive IAD @ 1201pm. I tried numerous other fares with only a "two day" advance purchase and most all other fares were substantially lower than your $820.40. Does not seem like a "great" deal .
3 5 0 :rolleyes:

Actually, he chose to go Business Class.

Did you run the comparison prices based on First Class or coach?

You need an apples to apples comparison. I'm willing to bet he got a good deal based on wanting to sit up in the front.

AirTran, business class, one stop (ATL): $820.40

What's low cost about that number??

Unless you are one of the lucky 10 or so people who get the "low" fare on the flight, there is nothing low cost about the LCCs..

I'm not interested in a debate on prices except for an equal comparison for fidelity purposes. I will add the following results that I just found.

Both of these are roundtrip:

DFW - IAD (Tomorrow) Delta Coach Fare = $908.00
DFW - IAD (Tomorrow) AirTran Business Class Fare = $780.00

My example should not be fair since it is NOT even an apples to apples comparison, yet it is still a LOWER fare on AirTran, even when you are travelling on an upgraded class with AirTran.

As far as the original poster, The secret is not to book 2 days in advance and expect LOWEST fares.

Just because you can find circumstances where the prices are not LOW, at least there are options for LOWER fares, and I think AirTran does a fine job of that.

And yes... I'm biased, but I'm quite familiar with our fares, and the fares speak for themselves.

What's low cost about that number??

I don't think that $800+ for an airline ticket is low cost and I did not claim that it was low cost. My point was that it was half the cost of the other carrier and in a better class of service.

It was a business decision based on dollars. One that I think a number of other businesses are making across these United States.

If I wanted low cost, Greyhound will do it for $209.

Jump Pilot said:
I don't think that $800+ for an airline ticket is low cost and I did not claim that it was low cost. My point was that it was half the cost of the other carrier and in a better class of service.

It was a business decision based on dollars. One that I think a number of other businesses are making across these United States.

If I wanted low cost, Greyhound will do it for $209.

Quick question... what was your perception of the overall service, both ground and inflight??

If I wanted low cost, Greyhound will do it for $209

Holy cr@p!!! You have to be kidding me... $209 for a bus ride? Did you mean to put that zero in there... $29 sounds more like it!

FL717 said:
Quick question... what was your perception of the overall service, both ground and inflight??

Unless HE was getting serviced, nothing is worth another $800 bucks!

This was my first time on AirTran. They are making a push to compete at DFW.

Overall, a nice experience. Did the electronic check-in at DFW with no problems. I usually wish death to electronic check-ins along with self service check-out at the grocery stores.

DFW to ATL the overheads were filled. I thought I would have to check my bag. The FA took it from me, found a place for it and put it in the bin while I enjoyed a complimentary beverage.

IAD-ATL they had a MX problem inbound. They rebooked all the passengers who had connections in ATL quickly and without a problem.

The 717 seems like a nice plane. I didn't get a chance to talk to the flight crew. The cabin crewmembers I interfaced with seemed upbeat and customer oriented.

Overall, a nice experience. I'll be making a more trips in the next few month and I'll book AirTran.

Latest resources

Back