TFRs are a JOKE!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with both Flylo AND Avbug!!!

TFR's are not a joke - they are a specific regulation found in our set of aviation rules provided to protect people inside the "temporary" area. It is incumbent (obligatory) upon me to read the NOTAMS and stay out of this area.

HOWEVER, the new TSA/HSA/FAA cooperative have created semi-permanent TFR's and are abusing the regulation in the name of "security". This cheapens or diminishes the effect of the TFR. There are now so many TFR's that it has numbed us to the fact that an important TFR exists. Last summer, the FAA ignored a ton of forest fire TFR violations over the Shenandoah because there were so many people violating the Camp David and Wash DC security TFR's. This is the equivalent of GM creating "daytime running lights" on their cars. Have you seen a fire truck lately? Yep, there are literally hundreds of lights flashing and blinking - why? - because people became so accustomed to lights on the highway that they simply don't "notice" the fire trucks coming at them.

So both authors are right. A TFR does nothing in the way of National Security. A bad guy will not follow the letter of the law and will find a way to deliver his terrorist message. A TFR is very important to firefighters, medical rescuers and the police on very limited and specific missions that require the TFR rule to be active. The President has his own TFR rule 91.141, but 91.137 is a very important rule.

I have to fly in and around the Washington ADIZ and near the sides of both the Washington TFR and the ever changing Camp David TFR around the already steadfast Prohibited Area (P-40)!!

As to the terrorists and the fear of terrorism and the mayhem it produces. Well let's see. An idiot steals a Bonanza, packs it full of explosives, flys to downtown DC and maybe takes out a building the size of a McDonald's Restaurant. The police and media go into a panic - how can this happen, etc, etc. People fear little planes and shut us down for a period of time. Or, we let the Secret Service and Homeland Security put all these administrative rules in that prevent people from using their airplanes. In the Washington DC area, nobody flys any more. My plane sits for days and days. Why? Too much hassle to go flying. Where I'm situated I can basically fly east and west but my North and South corridors are shut down by TFR's, ADIZ, Restricted Areas (that are now always hot). So I'm not flying. So did good people living in a "free" society win or did the terrorists? Right now, the terrorists have the advantage and my airplane has been devalued.

So flylo, you are right all these new "security" TFR's are a joke. We need to rescind them so that avbug can be safe fighting fires! Peace.

TFR's are not a joke! We had a 172 pop into our TFR yesterday in southwest AZ, that scared the crap out of me. If TFR's are such an incovienence to you, maybe you should slow down and assess your situations. Like it or not, they are there for a reason and a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good one at that.

Staring off kinda slow Avbug.

"A TFR does nothing in the way of National Security. A bad guy will not follow the letter of the law and will find a way to deliver his terrorist message."

Good post Tarp but that statement is absolutely not true. I personally don't care how many of the radical idiot terrorists kill themselves delivering their "message". They can deliver it all day long and I don't have a problem with it until they start killing Americans.

A TFR will not stop a terrorist from carrying out an attack but it will give some warning to those on the ground of an impending attack. That warning, while small, may be enough time time to get some people out of the frag pattern.

Would we have still lost some people at the WTC if we had a couple minutes warning that they were being targeted? Of course we would have but the real question is how many people would have been saved because I guarantee you there would have been some with even a minute of warning.

As a pilot, dealing with TFR's and actually having to read and understand the NOTAM's is a small price to pay to save one American life from a terrorist attack.

Tarp, I personally don't care that your airplane has been devalued or that you have to deal with more restrictions when you fly. The day we as a nation put more of a priority on your airplane or your flying privilege than saving lives from terrorism, the terrorists will have free reign over our country and will have won.

Rush Limbaugh said:
A TFR will not stop a terrorist from carrying out an attack but it will give some warning to those on the ground of an impending attack. That warning, while small, may be enough time time to get some people out of the frag pattern.

As a pilot, dealing with TFR's and actually having to read and understand the NOTAM's is a small price to pay to save one American life from a terrorist attack.

That's BS and you know it. How much warning would a 3nm, 3000ft TFR give the folks at Disney, or Chicago? What evacuate if it even looks like they are going to violate it? The only aircraft that poses a real threat are jet aircraft, those are often exempt from those TFR since they operate in Part 121 and 135. But even a C172 can violate that TFR in a matter of minutes and hit it's target.

Frankly the TFRs are becoming less temporary in nature, and not being based on any credible threats anymore. Frankly a majority of these National Security TFRs need to be eliminated are a joke, and need to be removed unless there is a specific and credible threat.

I should add that these feel good TFR seem to be doing the opposite to me. They think that these TFRs prove that GA is dangerous, and should be restricted more.

Well Mr. C, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. You can also think of it in terms of awareness. How aware are you when you are somewhere where airplanes are flying over you all the time. Do you pay attention to each one? When the only airplanes that are flying near you a busting a TFR, you'll pay more attention to it and watch to see what it does.

I know you just want everything to be just like it was before 9/11 but it won't be again for a long time. At least we don't have someone in the oval office that will fight these losers instead of Algore who would have run and hid behind a rock and then told us how we need to be sensitive to the needs of ragheads.

Oh Rush,

All I have to do is quote Ben Franklin:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

What more can I say - these words are about as precious as you can find. I want to live in a free society. I don't CARE about terrorists - I can't live in fear - if I worry about dying I will still die just as sure as if I didn't worry.

People on this planet make far too much out of their puny little existence. We're all going to die - could be a car wreck, a train wreck, a terroist act, a war between nations, a natural disaster or in my sleep. If we acted like the terrorists don't matter, then they don't. Very simple, a person comes into my town and wants to instill terror by dying for a cause - FINE. The terrorist dies with the act of suicide - he's dead! I may die too. So what - I was a free man until I left this world. What would you rather have a life living under complete fear and stringent rules or death?

"Give me liberty or give me death"!

Can you not see that the words that America (land of the free) were born with are the very words we need to live by today!

Tarp,

I think perhaps you're confusing rights with privileges. By implementing a TFR we are NOT giving up essential liberties. We are not giving up rights. We are not even sacrificing privileges.

To suggest we are doing so in concert with quotations by the founding fathers is misleading.

Flying is a privilege. Not a right.

It may start with a privilege, but government has it's way of expanding, and coming near out right bans of your privilege.

Look at the various smoking bans.

How many privileges do you want to give up?

Let's start with driving. Those pesky Interstates go everywhere. They could be used by terrorists to deliver truck bombs. Let's institute mandatory police checkpoints, searches, and internal passports. That should stop them.

And the list just goes on from there. Does this sound like a country in which you want to live?

We have to stop the slippery slope somewhere. I guarantee there will be those in government who will jump at the opportunity to increase their power and control over the population. We cannot turn this country into a police state. It will hand the terrorists their greatest victory.

So I ask again, how many PRIVILEGES are you willing to give up? Be careful what you wish for.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back