tfe 731 oil loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimmyw

On a lear 31 plane it sat for almost 3 weeks. discovered almost a quart of oil puddle from an engine. anybody with similiar or any thoughts on cause ? never a history of such.

If I remember correctly there is a spring associated with the oil drain venting assembly. This froze on me once upon engine shutdown and all the oil drained slowly overnight. Only happened one time. The mechanics Removed and Replaced the vent/spring assembly on the bottom of the engine as I recall.

Was the engine started and run, and did white smoke come from the engine during the start and initial light off?

Garrett/Honeywell powerplants don't tend to consume much oil at all, especially compared to a pratt product. However, the area where they're are the lab seals, which require pressurization by running to work properly. If the engine has been windmilling a lot then it's possible.

Are you certain it's oil, and have you checked to see where it's coming from? Is the drain mast wet?

On a lear 31 plane it sat for almost 3 weeks. discovered almost a quart of oil puddle from an engine. anybody with similiar or any thoughts on cause ? never a history of such.
We had the same problem once upon a time. There was an overnight appearance of a bunch of oil on the hangar floor under the engine. It was coming from the drain mast. The problem ended up being what Luvu described and we ended up doing what he did to resolve it. As I remember, it was covered under MSP. As far as a common problem - I've got 7 or 8 thousand hours in 731-powered aircraft and it's only happened to me that one time. I spent nearly 15 years at a company that operated 731-powered aircraft - about 30,000 flight hours in our fleet and (to the best of my knowledge) it never had happened to us either.

LS

Last edited:
Engine started and ran per usual no abnormalities. No white smoke.Thanks for the input everyone

We had a leak a couple of years ago and our mechanic couldn't find the source, se we took it to Garrett, and they couldn't find it either. Finally, MSP sent us another engine and replaced the leaky one. Found out later that the leak was somewhere in the tower shaft.

Latest resources

Back