• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Text Message Was a Hoax
Police Arrest Man Who Sent 'We're Freezing'

ATHENS (Aug. 15) - Greek police on Monday arrested a man they said had hoaxed TV stations by saying he had received a mobile phone message from a cousin on an airliner which said the passengers were freezing cold shortly before it crashed.

The man - identified as Nektarios-Sotirios Voutas, 32 - told Greek television stations that his cousin on board the plane sent him a cell-phone text message minutes before the crash saying: "Farewell, cousin, here we're frozen."

But authorities determined he was lying, and arrested him on charges of dissemination of false information.

"The man did not receive any message from the plane and has been charged with spreading false information," a police spokesman said.

The Helios Airways Boeing 737 crashed into mountains near Athens on Sunday, killing all 115 passengers and six crew.

Police said they spotted the hoax when they realized that the name of the passenger who had supposedly sent the messsage was not on the airliner's passenger list

Why would a person do such a thing?

I could never figure out hoaxsters...in the security industry, once in while you wind up with an employee that discovers a fire and saves the day. A couple days later, you find out the guard set the fire and was arrested.

All of the hoaxsters after 9/11 were amazing...you couldn't keep up with the news stories.

What do you think prompted this lad to make up such a story? It just seems kind of creepy to me.

FN FAL said:

I could never figure out hoaxsters...in the security industry, once in while you wind up with an employee that discovers a fire and saves the day. A couple days later, you find out the guard set the fire and was arrested.

All of the hoaxsters after 9/11 were amazing...you couldn't keep up with the news stories.

What do you think prompted this lad to make up such a story? It just seems kind of creepy to me.

Publicity, I guess he wanted to be remembered for something, as stupid an crazy it might be!!!!

I believe those stories are now worth fame and fortune, especially since 9/11. The fact that this guy is stupid enough to think he'd get away with it is almost funny.

Six

Big Duke Six said:
I believe those stories are now worth fame and fortune, especially since 9/11. The fact that this guy is stupid enough to think he'd get away with it is almost funny.
Yea, atleast use a name of someone that was actually on the flight! And with todays technology it doesn't take but just a few minutes for a cell phone company to pull up a record of send text messages! Idiots... oh well, he got his story out over every major news/media source in the world for a couple days!

User997 said:
Yea, atleast use a name of someone that was actually on the flight! And with todays technology it doesn't take but just a few minutes for a cell phone company to pull up a record of send text messages! Idiots... oh well, he got his story out over every major news/media source in the world for a couple days!
I guess what I would want to know, what was the time relationship between when he supposedly received the call and the crash and how did he know there was "frozen" people involved? :confused:

FN FAL said:
I guess what I would want to know, what was the time relationship between when he supposedly received the call and the crash and how did he know there was "frozen" people involved? :confused:

Ditto to that, this whole accident is getting very weird.

The bodies were cold, yet the windows were not frosted over.

The aircraft stayed aloft long enough to freeze the bodies, yet the coroner says that six were alive at impact.

etc,

enigma

enigma said:
Ditto to that, this whole accident is getting very weird.

The bodies were cold, yet the windows were not frosted over.

The aircraft stayed aloft long enough to freeze the bodies, yet the coroner says that six were alive at impact.

etc,

enigma
I guess we have to take a look at the airport security cameras and see who brought parkas with them. Hmmmmmm?

The text message sounded suspect to me. I've 'accidently' left my phone on before and it doesn't get reception above 5000' or so.

Latest resources

Back