Testing Alternates for Colorblindness?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DairyAir,

I think it's safe to say that if you went to every FSDO in the country, the light gun test would be administered about a billion different ways. Don't assume your experience is in any way standard.

Mine was administered at the Orlando FSDO, in an office park, in the blinding afternoon sun, squinting up at a light gun that was on the 5th floor of a building with mirrorlike glass for an exterior. I would've preferred a night test, the colors would've been a heck of a lot more distinct.

Personally, I prefer the SODA form, since it's the same size as a medical. I keep both in my wallet, so I don't forget where it is. In case I do lose it, i know they can pull my file in OKC, dig out the form number and send me a new one.

and for the original poster, feel free to take alternate tests, but there's no downside to having a SODA. it's been a non-issue in every airline interview I've had. As long as you can call the gun signals, you're good to go.

Capt V and others,

I agree with DairyAir. The difference is some airlines WON'T hire you with a SODA. We (me included) have just passed an ALTERNATIVE color vision test acceptable to the FAA. We don't have a SODA AND we don't have to test for color during our frequent medicals. It may be semantics for some, but if I had a SODA during the hiring process, I wouldn't have got'n hired at SkyWest! Careful how you handle this!

Fly Safe!

joel

AirSeattle said:
but if I had a SODA during the hiring process, I wouldn't have got'n hired at SkyWest! Careful how you handle this!
AirSeattle,

That's rather interesting. Did they tell you why? Just to thin the herd, as it were? My having a SODA was of zero concern to CMR, ASA or ACA...

mar, I'm right there with you brother.... I too failed the colored dots test in the book, then promptly failed the light gun test (but was able to retake it a couple more times until I passed), then in order to get the 1st class medical, I had to do the flight test with the local fed. All of this was pre-1990, so there may be a connection with the dates and whether or not a flight test is required.

On a side note,

Can anyone direct me to an eye clinic/doctor that administers the Farnsworth Lantern test?

I have searched the state of FL and can't find a single doc that still does them. I am willing to travel the country (don't care at this point), as I need to take this test before my medical expires here in a few months. My current AME has been helping me out with it comes to the color test, but he can't do this forever.

I am really nervous about leaving my fate in the hands of the MCO or TPA FSDO and their light gun test.

Thanks

JB74 said:
On a side note,

Can anyone direct me to an eye clinic/doctor that administers the Farnsworth Lantern test?
You know, I took one once, and I seem to remember actually going to a Coast Guard office to do it. You might try them?

LAXSaabdude

I first got a class II SODA in 1988. A couple of years ago I contacted the FAA and requested a Class I SODA. The person I spoke with stated they now issue the Color Blindness SODA for all classes of medicals. Under the Class box on my new SODA it says "ALL". The original test I took was a simple light gun signal test at the FSDO, no flying involved.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back