Terminal 6 JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

Prior to Jet Blue taking over the terminal 6 were there any airlines operating out of it or was it shut down.

Also, does the Port Authority and/or Jet Blue have any plans to renovate the terminal or are they going to keep it the same way.

T6's past

If I remember correctly United had the NW end of T6 when I started at Jetblue. United used gates 1-5 or so, the gates closest to United's T7. I'm not sure, there were a lot of changes happening very quickly after 9/11.

Once our new terminal T5 is operational, in about three years, T6 is supposed [rumored] to be refurbished and be attached to T5 or somehow utilized by Jetblue.

B6Guy.

I guess I'm getting old. I thought everyone knew who flew out of T6. Anyway it was TWA. TWA had both T5 and T6, probably the best piece of realestate on the field. Regarding T6, I'm not sure of the date but TWA had been operating out of there for years, probably sometime after Pan Am took over National (T6 was the original National terminal). TWA operated out of T6 right up to almost the end. TWA management wanted to get rid of it and fought it out with the IAM (the union for the Mechs, ramp.) for a couple of years. Towards the end we leased some of the gates to UAL, until the IAM finally gave up claim to the building and TWA handed control back to the Port Authority, which I think was around 1998 or 1999. Heck maybe into 2000, I am not sure.

I did my first IOE flight out of T6 on the 747 as an F/E. Went to Madrid then on to Barcelona. Ah, the good ole days, and that was only 1996.

Last edited:
BigMotorToter said:
I did my first IOE flight out of T6 on the 747 as an F/E. Went to Madrid then on to Barcelona. Ah, the good ole days, and that was only 1996.

You young punk! I did MY first IOE from T6 in Mar. '89 to LAX on the L10. (My second trip was JFK-SJU with a layover across the street from the Black Angus! :eek: ) TC

I started in Term B not 6 (as we had both A and B) in 84 and we leased gates 1 and 2 to AmericaWest.....then finally UA took those two gates....
what a great place to be !!!!

BigMotorToter said:

You guys got 747 f/e right out of training? Sweet!

I lived in Barcelona in the early 90s. When I left to go to college (Parks), I was a regular customer on TW 900, which went from a 747 to a 767, and finally a 757, through Lisbon. Always left from T6.

My last time on TW 900 was in Jan '99, when I was a commuter pilot. Best non rev/jumpseat experience I've ever had, hands down. First class on the 757 there and back. Thanks for the memories.

AA717driver said:
The Black Angus! :eek: ) TC
Oh, No, I wasn't there, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything.

I'm still not sure that it had the Mon's Venus in Tampa beat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back