Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can't remember the date

KeroseneSnorter said:
I cannot for the life of me remember the airline, but see if you can find info on a 747 CFIT that involved repeated warnings from the Ground Prox system.

Early GPWS systems were prone to false warnings, when the real thing was happening the crew ignored the warning.

Maybe someone else here can remember the date and airline.

Flying Tigers at Kuala Lumpur.

mar said:
Flying Tigers at Kuala Lumpur.
If that's the one where the flight crew got the two NDB's mixed up, automation didn't cause that one either.

FN FAL said:
If that's the one where the flight crew got the two NDB's mixed up, automation didn't cause that one either.

Not automation, but relevant to his technology portion of the question.

Once someone gets used to a constant stimulus they tend to ignore it. Example would be car alarms, who even bothers to look up when they hear one anymore? The early GPWS systems had similar flaws. It cried wolf so much that when it really meant it, nobody bothered to look up.

PJO said:
I'll sugest you go to ASRS web site and FAA website. In the ASRS web you will find good feedback from the pilots in some of the report. Ihope you find this info helpfull to you.
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report_sets_nf.htm
Good luck
The NTSB website would be a good place to look as well, but I'm betting the reason that Diesel is having a hard time finding information for his paper, is that there is a dearth of information regarding automation causing CFIT accidents.

imacdog said:
Wasn't there an airbus accident or near-accident where the crew accidentally punched in a descent of 3000fpm instead of 3.0 degrees?
Yea, that would be automation causing a CFIT accident. Not that pilots are supposed identify, verify and do instrument scans or anything remotely close to that...because that would be considered flight crew negligence. Unless someone could prove that the training department was negligent in training the flight crew. Maybe the company that built the plane was negligent in telling the company about the mode control panel and all the funny looking buttons on it.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
Yea, that would be automation causing a CFIT accident. Not that pilots are supposed identify, verify and do instrument scans or anything remotely close to that...because that would be considered flight crew negligence. Unless someone could prove that the training department was negligent in training the flight crew. Maybe the company that built the plane was negligent in telling the company about the mode control panel and all the funny looking buttons on it.

I would think that his paper is going to deal with the Human factors and how we interact with automation. Or in some cases do not interact with automation. I know my brain used to be able to hold an assigned altitude longer than the 5 seconds it takes to dial it up in the alt. selector window, but now after so many years with an altitude alert and pre select window, when I fly light aircraft I find myself having to ask for the altitude again.

Little things like that can have a profound effect on a flight. Is it a human error? Yes. Was it automation induced? Well that might be a good paper!

FN FAL said:

I'm not saying that automation caused the accident, but it was certainly an accident in which automation played a role.

desiel;
PM me your address, I took that class too, and I have what you need.
In the mean time:
Airbus A320- Fec 14th 1990, Indian Airlines, 92 Fatals, NTSB cited automation as a contributing factor.
Airbus itself blames automation in the famous vidoe of the 320 at the airshow hitting the tees.

Latest resources

Back