Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Is a temporary airman certificate acceptable documentation flying into and out of San Juan?

Yes, I searched flightinfo and the FAA (including the San Juan FSDO) for this answer with no luck.

Also, can anyone who operates routinely into and out of San Juan verify the required procedures if flying from the US west coast direct and back?

1. Gen Dec
2. Passports
3. APIS

I don't have the Jepp book handy, hence the questions. And no, I don't go Int'l much. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance!

AZ T

All flights from mainland US (the 48 contiguous states) to the Puerto Rico and back to the US, with no other stops, are considered domestic operations. You are not required to clear customs either inbound or outbound. The same as going to PHX from LAX, but a bit farther.

As for a temporary pilot certificate I can't see that there would be a problem. You might want to check with your local FSDO. The FAA considered this a domestic flight as well. The US FAA governs all flight operations in Puerto Rico.

Aircraft based in PR have 'N' numbers and all ATC is FAA.

I presume that you are a Part 91 operator.

Is a temporary airman certificate acceptable documentation flying into and out of San Juan?

Yes, I searched flightinfo and the FAA (including the San Juan FSDO) for this answer with no luck.

Also, can anyone who operates routinely into and out of San Juan verify the required procedures if flying from the US west coast direct and back?

1. Gen Dec
2. Passports
3. APIS

I don't have the Jepp book handy, hence the questions. And no, I don't go Int'l much. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance!

AZ T

Puerto Rico is not a foreign country, it is an American territory. You only need an agriculture inspection prior to departure. My apologies if you're referring to a different San Juan.

I think you are confusing a temporary airman certificates with temporary aircraft registrations. No international for temporary aircraft registrations (pink copy) but permissible with temporary airman certificates.

Thank you very much! Indeed, I was referring to San Juan, PR and we are a 91 operation (sorry for not clarifying). I appreciate all your knowledge and input! Now I can put down these int'l manuals (haha)!

AZ T

Latest resources

Back