Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DoubtingThomas

Hey experienced interview guys-

Ready to throw my hat into the major airline interview ring and I have a problem. Well in real life it's all good, but not very exciting in terms of interview stories. I've been fortunate enough to not have anything real scary happen during my career... no triple chimes, no emergencies declared, no engine failures... never even had to declare MIN FUEL. Just lucky, I guess.

I was hoping you guys could give me some examples of common 'Tell me about a time...' questions so I don't have to fidget and fumble during the real deal.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I thought I had the same problem. But I found the stories do not have to be dramatic, and thus I was overlooking many potential stories that I thought the interviewers would be bored with. But they are the types of stories most people would have, whereas the minority of interviewees would have the engine falling off type stories. So don't get in the mindset that your stories have to be riveting, just that they have a situation-action-result type structure.

BTW, the interviewer at the major I recently interviewed at said that "That situation doesn't apply to me" was a perfectly acceptable answer if I didn't have a story, just no to lie and make up a story.

Checklistcomplete.com and aviationinterviews.com have all the typical questions

Interviewers are just trying to get to know you. Even if they ask for something exciting, I wouldn't explain anything to dramatic. Just a time that you had a problem, learned from it, and are a better pilot for it. Don't tell them about the time you almost ran out of fuel(not that you did).

tell them about a time you had the breakfast burrito with the hot sauce and had to maintain sterile cockpit for 10 minutes too long....

discuss....

I'll license you my stories. The price is $100 per emergency and $200 for the one about the flight attendants who got in a fight. I've never shut down an engine but have a friend who has. I could probably obtain the licensing rights if you really want an engine shutdown story.:D

Never invent a story is my advice. If you never had a real emergency, so be it! I am sure there is something you can tell them about. A story that you had to make a difficult decision for example.

The problem with made-up stories is, that if they start asking a bit further, you might not be able to come up with a good answer. They'll realize it, and thats then probably the end of your interview...

Have you ever had to... divert? cancel a flight? Break up a fight between crew members? correct a captain? Have a FO correct you? Is there a company policy you don't agree with? Have you violated a FAR?

All those things make great stories. Go through your logbook and take note of anything out of the ordinary and turn them into a story. Does your company have you write reports when there are irregular operations? Gather about 15-20 stories and think about what questions they would make good answers to. Practice telling the stories to a friend. Make them detailed as to not create more questions. Try to make each story last about 2 minutes or so.
Each story could be the answer to several different questions, but you should not re-use a story.
Here's an example:

Q. Have you ever had to cancel a flight due to maintenance? or Have you ever had to make an unpopular decision?

A. Yes. I had just recently upgraded to Captain at ABC Airlines and we were on day three of a four day trip. We were scheduled to fly the last flight of the evening from Kansas City to Dallas. My crew and I took the airplane from another crew. The Captain on the previous flight mentioned that the parking brake light would not come on with the parking brake engaged and maintenance was on their way out to fix it. After conferring with maintenance, I decided to board the flight since they said they only needed to adjust a cable. After all of the passengers were boarded I made an announcement that we would be delayed about 20 minutes while maintenance adjusted a cable and apologized for the delay. After about 20 minutes maintenance informed me that the cable had already been adjusted and it needs to be replaced. He said he would check and see if they had the part there. I made another PA announcement explaining the situation and again apologizing for the delay. After about 10 minutes maintenance returned and said the part is not in stock and it will not be there until the next morning. Since this item was not listed in the MEL, I had no choice but to cancel the flight. I told my crew then I made a PA announcement to the passengers explaining to them that we could not depart with a malfunctioning parking brake light. Although the passengers were upset that they had to spend the night in Kansas City, several commended me for keeping them informed during the delay.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back