Telex Headset Repair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyguy1226

My mic jack on my Telex 850 is broken and needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a place where I can get this done at a reasonable cost? Telex wants $200 to fix it!

My mic jack on my Telex 850 is broken and needs to be replaced. Can anyone recommend a place where I can get this done at a reasonable cost? Telex wants $200 to fix it!

Similar thing happened to me with my 750. Found a lightly used one on ebay for $80. Works good. I'd start there.

How times have changed. Over 10 years ago when my Telex broke and they weren't under warranty anymore, I just boxed them up and sent them back to Telex with a note telling them what was wrong and to call or write me how much I owe them but they repaired them and sent them back to me like new and never charged me.

I talked to a repair place the last time my 850's broke. Here is the deal. Telex refuses to provide spare parts to other people who run headset repair businesses (or to sell them directly to the customer.) No option exists to get original parts except the flat $200 fee.

I think the best bet is to call a headset repair place and see if they can help as it hopefully is just a standard cord and plug. If the plug or cord is not the same as a standard one, you are out of gas.

Wow.....I sent an 850 back 5 years ago. It had a short in it earphone (side that has the boom and switch) . I took it apart to see it I could fix it. The circuit board was WAY to small for me to tinker with the size of the tools I had, but I saw what was wrong. Sent it to them, they charged 75 bucks for shipping and everything......the entire ear dome was replaced and the boom & mic (which were fine).......

The $200 is way too much but it's the cost of our profession. When my cord went bad on my 850, I sent it in and for $200 I got back a completely refurbished like new headset.

Don't forget to write it off on your taxes.

If it's just the mic jack, I'd say any audio-visual or electronic repair shop could probably do it on the cheap. I think the jacks themselves only cost a couple bucks at Radio Shack.

I've been trying to get my telex 850 repaired for 4 months now. They don't answer phone call messages left; the answering machine thing doesn't even tell you when to speak. They don't answer emails. I paid the $265 for the invoice to be sent to my address for pickup; it was never sent. I sent followup emails, no response. DO NOT BUY TELEX HEADSETS. You'll have to buy a new one to get it fixed. Now I have to call VISA to have the $265 charge disputed.

I am not a fan of the 750's. The sound quality is horrible. They remind me of 1980 walkman headsets.

Latest resources

Back