• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Telex 750 in the 737

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The phase shifted noise is just opposite wave length noise. It is still noise that may damage your hearing. While it may reduce some, people get lulled into thinking ANR is hearing protection it is not. It is noise reduction (tricking the brain).

This is a myth. Although you're providing a somewhat accurate description of how the technology works, you're incorrect that it doesn't protect your hearing. A quick search on google will turn up plenty of sources from MDs and scientists that discusses the benefits of hearing protection with ANR. The 20-25 decibels of noise reduction from ANR is just as good as 20-25 decibels of noise reduction from earplugs.

There are also sources that suggest what I am saying. Plus 10 cent earplugs or $500 headset. Just do what is best for you and research it.

The phase shifted noise is just opposite wave length noise. It is still noise that may damage your hearing.

No, it isn't.

Consider waves on a lake. If I have a set of waves that start on one side of a lake, and I can generate waves on the other side of the lake that interfere with the first waves to cancel them out, I will end up with flat water. No waves equals no sound.

In other news, how do those of you using the Telex 850 in a 737 hear what your fellow pilot has to say? Do you slide the earcup back, or listen through the earcup, or use an intercom?

Nixon

I've used the telex 850 for about a year now, Ive been pretty happy with it. I normally keep my left ear open for conversation and call outs, but during cruise I normally use the other ear. There is no hot-mike intercom on the 737... you can use it by pushing the push to talk switch the other way but no one ever does that.

A lot of guys probably 50-70% use either a custom earmold or the little pine-cone looking thing. I honestly just find the feeling of something in my ear annoying. But each to their own.. If your on first year pay at CAL and want to save a few bucks just go to Sears and get an earmold made and away you go... just wipe them down before you use it!!!

I know this isn't a 737, but we use the 750's in the hawker. Has anyone tried these plugs with them?

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I'm trying to get rid of the "faucet" noise that i'm constantly hearing. I tried normal foam ear plugs and turned up the radio, but it wasn't what i was looking for. I could see myself missing alot of calls that way.

I might have to give these a try and see.

Latest resources

Back