• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Telex 750 Custom Earmolds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was using earmolds with a plantronics headset. The plantronics is fine, but after being around round engines and airplanes in general for so long, I don't hear well from just one ear. I need to be hearing with both, or it's no good. I switched to a Telex (750, I think...if that's the one with both ears) for that very reason.

I had a custom earmold done with a local hearing aid company. Any one should be able to do it for you without any problem...even get your custom choice of colors.

I thought the thing in my ear was also very annoying. At least a rubber plug such as comes in a kit for plantronics or any in-ear headset, was more comfortable.

A custom earplug at a local hearing aid supply or audiologist will run about fifty bucks.

avbug said:
At least a rubber plug such as comes in a kit for plantronics or any in-ear headset, was more comfortable.

What I have found even more comfortable is to modify one of your favorite ear plugs to use instead of the rubber plug. I like the orange Max-1 plugs from Howard Leight. I have found that the best way to make a hole in them for the plastic tube is to heat an 1/8th inch drill bit over a gas stove and drive it through. Hold your breath when you are doing this as the fumes are mighty toxic. Putting a short piece of tubing on the other side of the elbow joint helps to get the sound all the way through the ear plug. The tubing can be bought at a hobby store; its basically the same as a fuel line for an RC plane.

Are you sure you don't mean the Telex 5x5? The 750 is the walkman - style headset.

I would suggest getting an earmold for the 5x5 from someone who knows the application for the earmold. Its very important to get the orientation of the headset bar correct. If it isn't, it will hit your sunglasses or face, or not put the boom mic in the proper place.

I got my mold done at the Stopover Store in MSP. Ralph, the guy who does them there does really good work. I got two molds done there back in 1999 for just under $80. Just make sure you stay still and don't talk or move your jaw at all while the mold is setting up. It will definitely mess up the fit. The first one I did came out perfect, but by the time I did the second one, I was getting bored and agitated. I had to go back twice before I got a good fit on it (which they re-did for free).

Latest resources

Back