Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

utahpilot

Seeing the light
I bought a 5x5 Pro on ebay a few years ago and it worked great in the RJ. I came to really love the lightweight, nothing on my head via the custom ear mold design of it. My only problem was that the aural alerts came in SUPER loud to the point where it cancelled everything else out when it sounded. But, oh well, I still liked it.

a few weeks ago, my 5x5 suddenly was very quiet and crackley. Even cranked to full volume (I usually ran it at about 60% volume) I could barely hear and it was crackley. I called Telex and they said it'd be $110 bucks to fix it, and then the fix was only warrantied for 90 days. Not being the original owner, I decided to replace it.

I bought again on ebay, and tried it out today. same problem! I can barely hear, even though the mic seems to work normally.

I've examined this thing to death, and for the life of me I can't find any problems with it.

anyone else have this problem? help!

No idea about the Telex...........I got called out for a "problem with the radios" one moring and after a few minutes came to the consclusion that the problem wasn't the aircraft but the FO's brand new Bose headset. He just kept saying "it can't be, I just bought these". I guess I'd be in denial too if I had to wear the company DC's all day.

Do you use the little filters in the tube to your earpiece? If so, one of those could have gotten crunched up. I flew with a guy a couple of weeks ago who had the same thing happen. Took the bad filter out and viola...it worked fine again.

Are you using the same ear mold? It sounds like what happened with mine. Just try cleaning the ear mold and it should fix your problem. It is amazing what a little bit of ear wax build up can do to distort the sound.

Latest resources

Back