Technical degrees for USAF pilot slot?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjl2001

Might as well give you my story real quick. I'm 20 years old, graduated HS two years ago. Have been going to the local community college here since, taking Army ROTC since it is all they offer. I screwed up and right now my GPA is around 1.5, and it will probably take an extra year for me to get my associates degree. All I have ever wanted to do is fly in the Air Force, fighters were always my first choice, but helicopters appeal to me more now. After talking with my local recruiter he said to even be considered for flying, I would have to have my Private Pilot License as well as a technical degree such as Engineering, Phsyics, or Math. Is that correct? I originally wanted a degree in areonautical engineering because that is something that interests me, but since I have been doing very poorly in school am starting to reconsider.

So could any of you who went through or are going through the same thing help me out. What would my best chance be so that I could fly for the AF. Go back to shchool, do the best I can, and try to graduate with a 3.0 or higher with an engineering degree. Or join the AF now, maybe reserves or guard, so I can have money to pay for college and then go to OTS after I have a degree and am prior service. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

I have a "friend" who finished high school with a 1.7 GPA, enlisted in the service, got a 4.0 gpa in college in a very non-technical field and eventually got a pilot slot. I would not recommend that route, however. Forget all the garbage about a technical degree. Go out there and major in something you are INTERESTED in and set 4.0 as your goal. The slow start won't hurt you if you show improvement and sustained superior performance for the rest of your college days. I would strongly discourage enlisting in the Air Force, but the Guard would be a good way to go. They like to send folks to UPT from within. Best of luck to you.

There is a guy that got a pilot slot in my AFROTC detachment with a degree in aviation. So nontech is possiable and what I am shooting for.

good luck,
jeff

When I went through AFROTC years ago, a technical degree was preferred over a non-tech degree if you were competing for a pilot slot. It was also a requirement if you wanted to attend Euro Nato Joint Jet Pilot Training (ENJJPT) at Sheppard AFB; depending on the times, this is where tops grads/folks with alot of flying hours got to go to get a better shot at getting a fighter. Like the previous posts, major in something that interests you and don't let others dictate what you want to study; you'll do better and enjoy college more. I have too many friends who started out in engineering, realized that it wasn't for them, changed their major after the second year, and finished on a 6 year plan. As far as who does better in pilot training (tech vs. non-tech types)....... it doesn't matter. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to excel in pilot training.
Having said this, I advise young bloods like yourself to get a technical degree (if it fits your billet) because you can always go back to school and get a MBA, but with a non-tech bachelor's degree, it's nearly impossible to get a technial master's degree (ie. scince and engineering). In my opinion, it open more doors in the future.
For later down the road, if you want to try out for test pilot school, you must have a technical degree (preferably AE or ME). Hope this helps.

I don't know about current requirements, but there are plenty (a majority?) of AF pilots without technical degrees. The best was a squadron bud who had a BA in Classical Guitar! ISYN.

Z

You do not need a technical degree to be a Navy test pilot. It helps, but is not necessary. You must, however, have a solid grasp on calculus. Most of the guys I know that were picked up for TPS were aerospace engineers, but there are basket-weavers out there as well.

I Got Ya!

The best thing I ever did after graduating high school was going to an institution that offered aeronautical science as a premier major. I’m telling you that’s what you should do. Do you want to be the best well rounded pilot when it comes down to selection? If yes there’s no other way to prepare for aviation than going the aeronautical degree route. People will say it’s not necessary and all but trust me. As time goes on the field of aviation is getting harder and harder to stay on top. Here’s a question? If you had to hire a pilot for a job (whether it be commercial, military, missionary whatever) would you hire the guy that is an ok pilot with an ok degree or would you pick the guy that has a B.S. or masters in the field of aviation plus the flight time to go along with it. I don’t care what anyone else thinks, a pilot that fully understands the concepts of aviation, the systems in which an aircraft is flown, the advanced aerodynamics that play factors during flight, and one who has a good bit of flight time and experience will get the job every time hands down! Is it easy? Hell no but anything in life that you really want is going to come by you with the right amount of sacrifice and dedication. Trust me don’t take the easy way out of getting a half-ass degree then basically stealing a slot in the military. Face it a lot of guys in the forces really don’t qualify for what they are doing; they meet the basic requirements (a degree and a clean record). It would be safe to say that yes military is good and very exciting but it isn’t where the money is. I do believe the military is good at what is does. I plan on doing my fair time in the military after college but it is impossible to learn and actually understand aviation with a flight school that last merely 1 year. Personally I don’t want to be the regular old military pilot I strive to be greater. So don’t go half ass go all out. Remember God is always with you if you want him there! Good Luck

Just have a brain

I am a current AF pilot and I never thought I could get a pilot slot with my current degree. When I was in AFROTC I met a Helicopter pilot who said his degree was history. I gave me the drive to go after my dream. I see guys come through flight school all the time with non technical degrees. Your GPA may need to improve in order to get into an AFROTC program and have the ROTC commander recommend you for a slot, but you don't have to quit on your dream.

Good Luck

Thumper

Latest resources

Back