• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SennaP1

Livin' the European Dream
Have a question:
I know what TEC routes are, I was wondering if you are using NOS Charts where are they published?(AF/D)? They are right in front of my Jepps, just couldn't find them for my student using NOS Charts. There are published ones and ones that you can just ask for, am I correct in saying this?

Also, being from the Midwest we don't have any published ones like the NorthEast or SoCal. How often do you guys/gals in those areas use them. Another thing, you can just file them in your IFR flight plan right?

Thanks in advance,
WannabeBlue

Howdy!
As far as I can remember, TEC routes are published in the AF/D so they are not duplicated in the NOS charts.

There are many published routes and some that are not published. TEC requires flight from approach control to approach control without a transfer to center. Center requires flight plans. This is why a flight can go from Bakersfield to Sacramento on a TEC and from Van Nuys to Ontario on a TEC, but not Bakersfield to Van Nuys. BFL-SAC is not published, VNY-ONT is.

The maximum times that I've used TEC clearances in SoCal is eight per day. That is two per flight with 4 students.

At certain times, ATC will refuse an IFR flight plan with a TEC route filed. Be careful, ATC likes TEC and may pressure you to accept the abbrievated route. If you do, you create a new flight plan and lose the alternate and emergency contact information in your original plan. If you need to go missed at your original destination, the clearance to the alternate may be a long time in coming, especially if it is navaid failure that caused the problem.

If SoCal loses radar, or one of the approach facilities loses radar, life will get very interesting as the pilots on TEC get full flight plans into the computer system if Center radar control needs to take over.

I suggest using TEC when it is "soft" IFR, and switch to full IFR flight plans when the ceilings and visibility drop to around minimums.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Thanks,
Very interesting about how TEC affects lost radar procedures.
Learn something new everyday:)

Latest resources

Back