• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Teaching the boss to fly...in a 172

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Serveral reasons why I think this is a bad idea.

1. How well is your boss going to take instruction from you? Are you going to be able to critque him honestly from a subordinate position? How secure do you feel in your job if he is not happy with his progress?

2. Do you work as a corporate pilot now? If so aren't you essentially instructing yourself out of work?

3. If you are the company's pilot now, you are giving the boss ammunition to criticise every operation decision he doesn't like. A little knowledge...

4. If he is like many bosses, he will want to combine work trips with instruction. While some of this can be productive, it gets to be a waste after a while.

5. The financials. Who is going to pay for the additional insurance, both for the aircraft and you? Who will be responsible for the 172?

6. I tried this once. It was terrible. The guy never even soloed. Ground kept getting put off for meetings. "Gotta pay for the plane, you know". Eventually he got frustrated and scrapped the whole deal.

Your results may vary, but mine were terrible. If the guy is serious about getting his license, then do both of you a favor and recommend him to the best CFI you know.

Last edited:
Show your boss how "difficult" flying can be and then discourage him from continuing. You might get more respect from him and even a raise someday...

Can he fire you? How is his temperment? How serious is he on this endeavor? Most importantly how can you pawn this off onto other CFI?

Show your boss how "difficult" flying can be and then discourage him from continuing. You might get more respect from him and even a raise someday...
That's just it. Flying isn't difficult at all.

Somehow I let myself get conned to into training the boss, but so far so good.

He's found out so far that its alot easier monday morning quaterback from the right seat of a king air than it is to fly in the left seat of an archer!

He's actually a great guy so I think it may work. if it doesnt... I'll be sending some of ya'll my resume!!!

I appreciate everyone's 2 cents.

Do a search on "Bad Career Moves". You shouldn't have to page down too far before you get your answer. :D TC

P.S.--Seriously, you are a professional corporate pilot, not a professional CFI. Send him to a professional. (Of course, that little $h!t will try to steal your job but that's another thread...)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back