Teaching GPS Approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowlycfi

I have an instrument student that I'm teaching in his own airplane. It has a Garmin 430 in the panel plus another NAV/COM. I've never taught GPS approaches (much less flown one myself). Can anyone recommend some resources for me to use to get up to speed on GPS?

So far I've found the FAA's Instrument Procedures Handbook (FAA-H-8261-1), and AC 90-94 to be somewhat helpful. I also have a copy of ASA's computer GPS training aid. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Head to Garmin's website and download the simulator for the 430. This will help you out immensely. Most pilot shops also sell the Pilot handbook for the 430's. I'd definitely get my hand on these two items and work them out for yourself before you try teaching them.

DAS at 10/250 said:
Also reference the AIM on what a GPS can and cannot do.

Thanks. Forgot to include that in my original post, but I have been studying the AIM 1-1-20. Keep 'em coming!

Two more:

1. The Garmin site also has a recommended syllabus for teaching GPS.

2. Your student should have Garmin's video course - pretty good and you can follow along with the downloadable simulator. Not a bad idea for you to borrow it for your own prep work.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back