Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
I know that I am getting way ahead of myself here, but my father and brother have both expressed an interest in flying. I will shortly begin my training and will eventually end up a CFI. What are your thoughts on me teaching my family members to fly? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

cforst513 said:
I know that I am getting way ahead of myself here, but my father and brother have both expressed an interest in flying. I will shortly begin my training and will eventually end up a CFI. What are your thoughts on me teaching my family members to fly? Is it a good idea? Why or why not?

If you don't want to teach them, can I?

-mini

I wouldn't want to tell my dad, brother, or MY WIFE. They can't solo, because they suck.

baby steps fool, maybe you should get your private first

mini, if you're that desperate for students..........i dunno, maybe you are a tool

I taught my son to fly, no problems. I tried to teach my wife, she was a good pilot but she ran the airplane like she ran the house, did what she wanted to do. Like I would say "Today we are going to do S-turn about a road". She would say "I don't like S-turns, lets do some more spins". I tried to solo her twice, she was ready, but did not feel like it that day. Never did get her license, but I have great pitch hitter when we fly together. My granddaughter was a drop out also. I start on my grandson as soon as school is out.

Hmm, I wouldn't do it.
I would be involved in their training but not as their primary CFI.
In my opinion the stress levels are just higher because they don't want to look stupid in front of you, that's always easier with a stranger.
Kream926, if you can't say anything reasonable SHUT UP and do us all a favour

I'm assuming the car in your avatar is Caddy DeVille? If so what year and is that your ride? Looks cool. My cousin has an old Caddy I want to buy and restore.

CDVdriver said:
Hmm, I wouldn't do it.
I would be involved in their training but not as their primary CFI.
In my opinion the stress levels are just higher because they don't want to look stupid in front of you, that's always easier with a stranger.
Kream926, if you can't say anything reasonable SHUT UP and do us all a favour
yeah, that's good advice, both for kream and for me. i guess i could be on the side as a mentor and help. my brother has a short fuse and can get frustrated easy. i'd like to think of myself as a patient man, but we all have our limitations. thanks for the advice everyone!

Why not teach them? My Uncle taught his brother (through CFI) several years ago and myself just recently, and it was a great experience. That same uncle learned from his dad (my Grandfather). It's actually pretty nice, because you can be more candid w/ each other. I understand the hesitation, and I also asked the same question (from the perpective of a student though). I ended up hearing from a lot of people that were taught by their fathers, grandfathers, etc. I'm hoping to teach my brother and my young cousin when I become a CFI.

Latest resources

Back