Tcas

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

redW&blue

If you are on a IFR flight plan below FL180 in viz conditions and have the TCAS give you a RA where it wants you to climb, am I required to follow it or can I ignore what it is telling me to do??

Hate to double post but just had an RA at 15500 about two hours ago in VFR conditions. Glad I did, there was a guy at 16500 VFR. If I had ignored the RA I would have hit him. Damn glad for TCAS today!!!!

Chief pilot says its a wast of time and not needed in our aircraft.
He got upset with me taking the correct action after our TCAS gave us a RA. Glad I followed its command so I can post this thread tonight.

From AC 120-55B:

(2) When an RA occurs, the PF should respond immediately by direct attention to RA displays and maneuver as indicated, unless doing so would jeopardize the safe operation of the flight or the flightcrew can assure separation with the help of definitive visual acquisition of the aircraft causing the RA. By not responding to an RA, the flightcrew effectively takes responsibility for achieving safe separation. In so choosing, the following cautions should be considered:
(a) The traffic may also be equipped with TCAS and it may maneuver in response to an RA that has been coordinated with your own TCAS.
(b) The traffic acquired visually may not be the same traffic causing the RA.
(c) Visual perception of the encounter may be misleading. Unless it is unequivocally clear that the target acquired visually is the one generating the RA and there are no complicating circumstances, the pilot’s instinctive reaction should always be to respond to RAs in the direction and to the degree displayed.

Our Falcon has TCAS, our Diamondjet does not. I hate flying that darn Diamondjet on the VOR-A into TEB. Wayyyyy too many people flying VFR in that area not talking to anyone.

BTW your CP is a dam fool!

Latest resources

Back