TCAS in an Emergency Descent

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr. Irrelevant said:
or "yeah, we're lookin". Looking at what? The hot stew? I always understood "traffic in sight" or "negative contact". Just a pet peeve.
Along those same lines how about the guys who call "Talley Ho"? I'
m with Avbug, you've either got them with your eyeballs or you don't.

'Sled

ISaidRightTurns said:
Here is a question for you guys. Today I had a NWA DC9 lose pressurization over IRQ (Colliers) at FL340. The first sign I get of it is him telling me.
First, you had a DC9 lose pressurization, then they had the nerve, telling you about it first?

You had them lose the pressurization...you had them do this? Then you get mad about them telling you about what you had them do? Gawd...you guys are confusing. Is this a gay thing or am I just missing out on the new hip lingo you kids are using these days?

ISaidRightTurns said:
My understanding is that it extrapolates data based on the 3A transponder, which is what we use for civilians in ATC. Is that not right? Is there a different box, antenna, whole set-up for TCAS? Where does it get its altitude information and is it accurate to the foot, 10 feet, 100 feet ??
extrapolates? sounds like the mall rat has been doing his homework.

avbug said:
Aircraft squawking don't always appear on TCAS...I stated that a week or so ago here on another thread, and folks tried to say it isn't so...it is so. Traffic doesn't always appear, and folks sometimes become a little too complacent.
No you said an aircraft has to equipped with a Mode S transponder to appear on TCAS. That is not true.

However, I agree aircraft do not always show up. That they do not has nothing to do with their having Mode A or C transponders instead of Mode S. Radio wave propogation is not perfect.

Man you have an ego.

FN FAL said:
First, you had a DC9 lose pressurization, then they had the nerve, telling you about it first?

You had them lose the pressurization...you had them do this? Then you get mad about them telling you about what you had them do? Gawd...you guys are confusing. Is this a gay thing or am I just missing out on the new hip lingo you kids are using these days?

Where the hell did that come from? Freak.

Now jimmyboy, you quoted me, and then stated that the quote showed I have an ego. I made a statement of fact, and fact is without ego. Can you dispute that fact? You cannot. Wherein then is the ego, in your own self righteous
indignation?

No you said an aircraft has to equipped with a Mode S transponder to appear on TCAS. That is not true.

In that much, you are correct...Mode C as well as mode S. However, the thrust of my comment, which you missed entirely in your response, was that often traffic doesn't appear. I've met far too many pigheaded pilots who let their gagetry do their thinking for them, especially the TCAS. The idea that it will even pick up the majority of the traffic out there is flawed. A handy tool, but a limited one, and it should be treated and thought of in that way. Lots of non-talking, non-sqawking traffic out there, and even the traffic that is squawking frequently doesn't show up.

We tend to think of the TCAS as expanding our circle of awareness...after all, isn't it amazing how much traffic it helps us spot that we would have missed, otherwise? Of course it is. Lots of traffic. Conversely, however, often it leads to complacency when we think in these terms. While it's great that the box picks up traffic, perhaps we would be better served by thinking in terms of everything it isn't seeing.

TCAS looks up/down something like 2500' when in "normal" Above/Below is 9900'.

Now that depends on the installation. Some are 2,000 up and down with 6,000 in above and below. Mine presently is two thousand up and down with eight thousand when assigned "above" and "below." Not that it really matters.

The hell you don't. Tell me, Mr. King$hit know-it-all, how many times when traffic has been called to you, and it DOES happen to show up on the TCAS, and you have YET to see it visually, that you relied on your eyeballs (that happen to be superior to any electronic device known to man) without once looking back down at the TCAS to help guide your visual scan to pick up that traffic? If you say never, then you are full of $hit. If you are honest and say "usually", then you have something to work with in assisting you in acquiring visual contact sooner than you would have otherwise. Oh yeah, what was it that alerted you to the traffic when it was 12 miles out to begin with? A radio? Say it isn't so. See and avoid is great. See and avoid with a little help from technology is even better. Rant complete.

Rant complete, and as always, entirely beside the point, and without significance. At least you're consistant.

At what time have I ever said I don't use the TCAS? Never. At what time have I ever said it's a useless device? Never.

What I did say is that attempting to respond to an ATC announcement of a traffic alert or traffic in general with "gottem' on TCAS" is pointless. ATC cannot base any action on weather or not you see traffic on TCAS, it doesn't help anybody out to tell them that...and you may not even be seeing the correct traffic. Therefore, keep your trap shut until you have visual contact...because for ATC purposes, and AIM purposes, and traffic avoidance in general, you haven't "got traffic" when it's on the fish finder. You've got a dot on the screen with a differential altitude readout (maybe). That's all.

Point of fact: I use TCAS all the time, and it's a regular part of my scan, inside and out. I don't spout out ignorant statements like "Got him on TCAS," however. If you'd bothered to read my comments previously, you'd understand that. Other posters did read my comments, and virtually all agreed...except you...you who spends much more time finding little ways to invent an in for a personal attack than contributing to any conversation. As I said, at least you're consistant. Not worth spit on a pig, but consistant. Play again.

I always felt that saying "have them on tcas...we're looking" let the controller know that at least we were looking in the right direction. To be followed up by "traffic in sight". oh well.

avbug said:
I don't spout out ignorant statements like "Got him on TCAS," .
There you have it folks. We're all ignorant if we don't see perfectly eye-to-eye with bukkake-breath here. I don't think anyone would agree that saying you have a contact on TCAS means you see them and are done looking to ensure separation. I bet it's great to sit next to you and watch you fester and seeth everytime you hear that call. Or is it more like seeing you puff up your chest as you are confirmed in your conviction that you sit atop a perch of knowledge and wisdom akin to that of the Dalai Lama? I think probably the latter.

avbug said:
virtually all agreed...except you...you who spends much more time finding little ways to invent an in for a personal attack than contributing to any conversation.
It doesn't take even the dimmest one any more time to see an "in" for a personal attack on you than you spend on your non-contributory personal attacks. I spend more time picking out toilet paper than trying to find a reason to toss a slight your way, so don't flatter yourself.
avbug said:
Not worth spit on a pig,
http://members.fortunecity.com/wavjunky/swl-a/admirer.wav
Good one. I'll keep it.

Latest resources

Back