TBM-700 destined for PDK crashes on interstate near NYC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

A small plane bound for DeKalb-Peachtree Airport has crashed and exploded on a New Jersey interstate Tuesday morning in the second deadly crash involving planes heading for or leaving metro Atlanta in as many days.

Five people died in the crash on I-287 in Harding, N.J., one of the New York City area's busiest highways. Two children were among the five people killed.

Two managing directors of the New York investment bank, Greenhill & Co., Inc., were apparently killed, along with family members of one of the men.

The bank released a statement Tuesday afternoon saying that managing directors Jeffrey F. Buckalew, 45, and Rakesh Chawla, 36, "are believed to have been aboard a private plane that crashed this morning in New Jersey."

"The plane belonged to Mr. Buckalew, an experienced pilot whose passion was flying," the statement continued. "We also believe that Mr. Buckalew's wife, Corinne, and their two children, Jackson and Meriwether, were on the plane."

Buckalew had several family members living in the Atlanta area.

The Wall Street Journal reported in 2008 that he was one of the investment bankers advising Delta Air Lines on the Atlanta-based company's merger with Northwest Airlines.

According to the FAA, the Socata TBM-700 single-engine turboprop had taken off from nearby Teterboro Airport and was headed for DeKalb-Peachtree when it disappeared from radar.

FAA spokesman Jim Peters said the pilot had requested clearance to a higher altitude. He said that garbled transmission followed, and that the plane then dropped off radar.

Chris Covello of Rockaway Township said he saw the plane spin out of control from the car dealership where he works in Morristown, near the site of the crash.

"It was like the plane was doing tricks or something, twirling and flipping. It started going straight down. I thought any second they were going to pull up. But then the wing came off and they went straight down," he said.

No one on the highway was injured. The interstate was closed in both directions following the crash.

Monday night, a plane carrying members of a Stockbridge family crashed in Texas. All five people aboard the plane, which had departed Tara Field in Henry County, were killed.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

http://www.ajc.com/news/plane-bound-for-pdk-1265851.html

Looks likely or at least a factor. Several reports of moderate and severe icing 13,000 through FL180 including lots of airliners, even an MD-80 reporting moderate-severe icing.

When I heard this I was puzzled, assumed it was an engine failure coming out of MMU or something. Weather didn't even seem a possibility...or so I thought. I was there around that time...driving. Higher overcast with rain moving in from the south. Just can't understand how a turbine aircraft could not handle it. Possibly another "Roselawn" type of incident. Prolonged exposure to SCLD.

We'll know soon enough I suppose. Darn shame made worse by the time of year!

Bad couple of days for general aviation.

Latest resources

Back