• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atl pilot

Hey guys and gals,
Just a heads up for you:
The portion of taxiway Dixie that is located between ramps 6-north and 6-east is going to be closed until the end of May 2009. If you are an arrival and know that you are parking at 6N, but feel based upon your arrival location that you may get asigned rwys 9R/27L or 10/28....make your request (nicely - it gos a lot farther when courtesy is involved!) for runway 8L/26R with Atlanta Approach control as soon as you check in...we were briefed at the Tower that they will try to accomodate these requests on a workload permitting basis (much like they do for the folks who park at the FBO and/or north Cargo). Do not abuse this simply b/c you want to be closer to the north end of the other ramps. Use this only when landing on the oppoiste side of the field will require you to transition through another ramp to get to 6N. This will also work coversely if you plan on parking at 6S and are inbd to the north runway. Your coorperation here is greatly appreciated.

I flew into ATL for the first time last night and was a little confused when taxiing in. I landed on 9R, since 8L and 8R were closed, exited on N6 took S to L7 and contacted ramp control, ramp control gave me some weird route, and when I asked him to clarify told me to taxi on on the East lane through ramp 5. When I got through the ramp ground told me to taxi via ECHO DIXIE ALPHA to north cargo. Ok I kept looking for a taxiway DIXIE on the airport diagram and on the taxi signs but I only saw DELTA.

Ok here is the point why does KATL not use standard phraseology when issuing taxi instructions? Last time I checked in the phoenetic alphabet "D" is said "DELTA" not "DIXIE". Thanks and I am not complaining about ATL controllers they all were very nice making sure I didn't get lost.

Taxiway D is called Dixie at ATL in order to preclude any confusion with the company Delta. Been that way for decades and is depicted on the NOS airport diagram (shoud be also on the Jepps unless they've screwed it up recently) that way. I also believe its in the AFD.

Learn something new everyday.

Taxiway D is called Dixie at ATL in order to preclude any confusion with the company Delta. Been that way for decades and is depicted on the NOS airport diagram (shoud be also on the Jepps unless they've screwed it up recently) that way. I also believe its in the AFD.

Same thing in Cincinnati, though I think it's actually labeled Dixie on the chart.

That would make sense. I noticed on the taxi chart that it was labeled "DIXIE" east of ramp 6 but north of there, where I was taxiing it was labeled "D" which was what kinda confused me, but then also helped me figure out "DELTA" was "DIXIE". Well at least next time I am in ATL I will know.

It makes you really appreciate how smooth and efficient ATC is in ATL once you fly to other screwed up airports around the country, like JFK, LGA, EWR, TEN, etc.

Coming in from Macon the other day and parking at Delta North, I thought I would be very clever and do what was mentioned above, requesting 8L. ATC were very accomadating, routing me overhead and then left downwind for 8L. Problem was it ended up being a 35 mile final at 180kts and I was kicking myself all the way in for being too clever for my own good. Landing on 10 with all the runway crossings would have been a lot quicker, me thinks

TD,
If the 8L final was that long, the others were probably also equally as long. In addition to you having to cross 4 runways in route to your DN destination (giving you much higher risk) AND having to deal with transitioning through a ramp to get to twy F....you probably still made out better! I don't have a ton of confidence in the ramp towers' ability to expedite anything.

Latest resources

Back