Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I have a taxi light on/off switch on my panel on the lower left of the G3X area with a 5A fuse. As the wing leading edge lights point up while taxiing the light for taxiing at night will be minimal. I've done it, it's doable but I wanted better so I installed a taxi light. On my prior FX-3 I used a 10 inch RIGID light which worked fine but when at EAA AirVenture 2023 I looked at the Whelen lights and noticed the dedicated taxi light as used in many nosewheel aircraft. The specs looked good and the gears starting turning in what I wanted to use in my new FX-3.

Not a cheap setup but I decided to pursue the Whelen option over the RIGID light bar.

wat.pngwhelen-mount.png

Whelen Parmetheus™ G3 PAR 36 Landing & Taxi Light FAA-PMA | Aircraft Spruce (be sure to choose the taxi light option, not landing light)

Now the question is, as always, how to mount it. As I enjoy CAD design and 3D printing I designed a mount that attaches to my cabane vee. Works outstanding and the light can be retracted when not needed (manually! I'm not Patey!). I probably won't retract it, I don't think the drag is a big deal or a concern to me, if much at all.

After deciding on my design and several 3D print tests I used a CNC service (Xometry) to send my design off to be CNC'd out of aluminum and double black anodized. As it didn't cost much more to get 10 vs. 1 made I got 10 made which cost about $1k. So I have 9 extras if anyone wants one.

light-mount.png

The end result came out amazing, the light works amazing and I love the setup. Initially I didn't paint it black and left it white but after the bullying by several friends I caved and painted it black :) I have to say they were right, but don't tell them!

taxi-light.JPG

g3x-taxi-light.JPG

What I considered doing and what I believe CubCrafters should do is put a taxi light in one side of the wing aimed down and the other for landing. And of course choose the best and brightest lights. I think WAT is now a supplier and of course you can enjoy an upcharge for "better" lights. Probably not hard to change yourself but angling one down may need a 3D printed wedge or something.

What I considered doing and what I believe CubCrafters should do is put a taxi light in one side of the wing aimed down and the other for landing. And of course choose the best and brightest lights. I think WAT is now a supplier and of course you can enjoy an upcharge for "better" lights. Probably not hard to change yourself but angling one down may need a 3D printed wedge or something.

I have a taxi light on/off switch on my panel on the lower left of the G3X area with a 5A fuse. As the wing leading edge lights point up while taxiing the light for taxiing at night will be minimal. I've done it, it's doable but I wanted better so I installed a taxi light. On my prior FX-3 I used a 10 inch RIGID light which worked fine but when at EAA AirVenture 2023 I looked at the Whelen lights and noticed the dedicated taxi light as used in many nosewheel aircraft. The specs looked good and the gears starting turning in what I wanted to use in my new FX-3.

Not a cheap setup but I decided to pursue the Whelen option over the RIGID light bar.

Whelen Parmetheus™ G3 PAR 36 Landing & Taxi Light FAA-PMA | Aircraft Spruce (be sure to choose the taxi light option, not landing light)

Now the question is, as always, how to mount it. As I enjoy CAD design and 3D printing I designed a mount that attaches to my cabane vee. Works outstanding and the light can be retracted when not needed (manually! I'm not Patey!). I probably won't retract it, I don't think the drag is a big deal or a concern to me, if much at all.

After deciding on my design and several 3D print tests I used a CNC service (Xometry) to send my design off to be CNC'd out of aluminum and double black anodized. As it didn't cost much more to get 10 vs. 1 made I got 10 made which cost about $1k. So I have 9 extras if anyone wants one.

The end result came out amazing, the light works amazing and I love the setup. Initially I didn't paint it black and left it white but after the bullying by several friends I caved and painted it black :) I have to say they were right, but don't tell them!

Neal, I talked to CC and will have the same light installed on my FX3. I'd like to purchase one of the mounts you have. Please let me know how much, the best way to pay(venmo?). If possible, I'd like to have it shipped to CC.

Neal, I talked to CC and will have the same light installed on my FX3. I'd like to purchase one of the mounts you have. Please let me know how much, the best way to pay(venmo?). If possible, I'd like to have it shipped to CC.
I'm selling them $200ea, I can send you a PayPal link. I'll private message you now my email address and we can go from there.

Here is a picture of my panel that shows the TAXI LTS switch near lower left of the G3X.

IMG_5348.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Neil, I'll take one of those off your hands too, send me a link. I probably will have it installed at condition inspection. I have just the place for it!
IMG_0221.jpeg

I'll email you shortly.

Absolutely love this taxi light. Used it tonight. Wide beam and bright. I tried several options and this one is a winner

Where to aim it? Using the hangar door as a reference with the light on I put a small gap at the bottom of the rectangular beam pattern so it’s slightly above the floor per se.

Latest resources

Back