Taxes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaska82

I realize that this post should be on another board but I figured you guys have been around longest and know all the tricks of the trade. So what are the best tax right offs for pilot? Food that you eat while on a trip? Crash pad? (well I'm sure you can right off crash pads) anything else? Thanks

Alaska82 said:
So what are the best tax right offs for pilot?
Right off, I'd have to say that when it comes to taxes, that there are no rights.

I use 401K and IRA tax shelters.

You get to write off when you do overnights. From what I understand, they base the amount of write off on specific cities. So you have to keep track of that.

Home interest is deductible.

Going to college can net you some deduction.

Kids will get you deductions.

You can form an LLC or some other company and give a go at operating a successful business. But beware, they find out it's a hobby and you go directly to jail if you can't back it up.

Check out CPAdaly.com, he specializes in air crew taxes. There is a check list link on his site on what you can deduct. Ive used him for the past 4 years, and has been execellent.

Be very, very careful about taking the DOT "transportation worker" deductions. The IRS allows you as a transportation worker to not collect receipts while on the road, and a lot of (clueless) guys simply take the standard deduction (hotel and per diem) for each town they spend more than a few hours in.

Problem is, you're not paying for your hotel (so you can't deduct an expense you didn't incur) and you can only deduct the difference between what you receive in per diem and the IRS allowance and almost always, that difference is zero or close to zero.

Every year there's some clown the board that brags about the huge deductions they take using the transportation worker rules. Beware.

The good news is that the only criminal part of the tax code comes from hiding income, the only thing that can go wrong if you deduct more than you're allowed is huge civil penalties. At least you won't go to jail.

Again, if your company pays for your hotel and gives you per diem, you're pretty much even on deductions (actually ahead, unless you eat at the Ritz Carlton every night).

Alaska82 said:
I realize that this post should be on another board but I figured you guys have been around longest and know all the tricks of the trade. So what are the best tax right offs for pilot? Food that you eat while on a trip? Crash pad? (well I'm sure you can right off crash pads) anything else? Thanks

I was able to deduct crash pad expenses a few years ago on the Federal return. I believe it was considered a "second household" expense and the limit was six months in any tax year. Any longer than that and it is no longer your second household, but your primary. Still six months of crash pad rent is better than nothing. There are others related to commuters that the tax expert referred to here would be best to ask.

Not to argue with your specifics, because you might have had good advice, but crash pad expenses are specifically not deductable. You can never deduct the expenses to go to and from work, regardless of where you live.

You can deduct the expenses of travelling between two different jobs, but never from home to a job.

radarlove said:
Not to argue with your specifics, because you might have had good advice, but crash pad expenses are specifically not deductable. You can never deduct the expenses to go to and from work, regardless of where you live.

You can deduct the expenses of travelling between two different jobs, but never from home to a job.

This is normally true, but there has been at least one specific test case before the IRS and the ruling is that you may deduct commuting expenses the first 6 months when you experience an involuntary change in domicile. Specifically a job change that has you operating out of an airport other than where you live, or a displacement to a domicile other than where you live.

You cannot deduct commuting expenses (legally) under other scenarios.
Murk

When it comes to taxes I am very aggressive, but stay just on the right side of legal.

I had a few buddies use Daly and the stuff he was claiming scared the crap out of even me. They enjoyed the big refund checks, but many dropped him because they realized that if they were audited they'd have some liability.

Just one example is deducting the city based per diem as an expense, but then not including the per diem the company paid, BECAUSE that shows up on your paycheck, when you get audited they ask for your W-2.

Latest resources

Back