Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meyerh02

Hey!

Just got my W-2 forms from my company and am trying to figure this tax thing out. The 2002 year is the first one which I've been flying for an air carrier. I'm really confused as how to maximize my returns with such items as Per Deim, meals, transportation and all those other little expenses that pilots can legally deduct. Can anyone steer me towards a website or book that spells it out in plain pilot lingo. Like anyone else I only want to give Uncle Sam my fair share and not a penny more! Thanks!

Just curious - but what would you guys/gals think of an IRS publication dedicated solely to issues faced by transportation employees, e.g. airline crews? It would probably have to include information for all transportation workers as well and not just airline employees - that is truck drivers, railroad crews, etc.

I was thinking along the lines of something similar to the armed forces, pub 3, guide that addresses tax related issues for military personnel and their families.

If you think you'd like something like that, what would like to see included??

I've used Turbo Tax on my computer for the last six years. It is incredibly easy to use. It has all IRS publications included. Last year, I was able to easily find the publication regarding deductible expenses for travel professionals. If I remember correctly, you can either deduct actual amounts paid for meals, incidentals, hotels, etc., or use a default amount depending on whether or not it was an over-night trip or out-and-back. I chose the latter since I know I spend way less than the IRS daily amount. Of course, you can only deduct the amounts that exceed any non-taxed per diem you were paid.

Latest resources

Back