Tax deductions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
crash pad write offs

Why all the hard line NO's here about crash pads being deductible?
I know for a fact that if you change your base every year it is call temporary housing, which is deductible.

Now if you are based in a place more than a year then you should not take the deduction any more.
same with travel expenses to your new temporary duty base. and really now. what in this career is permanent any more?

Why all the hard line NO's here about crash pads being deductible?
I know for a fact that if you change your base every year it is call temporary housing, which is deductible.

Now if you are based in a place more than a year then you should not take the deduction any more.
same with travel expenses to your new temporary duty base. and really now. what in this career is permanent any more?

Go ahead and deduct that crash pad and let us know how it works out for you when you get the almighty audit.

The only loop hole related to the crash pad falls under moving expenses related to. If you transferred bases but did not move your primary home, these expenses are considered a professional deduction versus a moving deduction. If you had any expenses related to moving your crash pad or airport car from one base deduct away. Distance driven from old base to new base, travel expenses (beer), and lodging expense during the move. There are also many deductions related to TDYs that fall strictly outside of the confines of crash pads. Remember the Hill says we choose to commute....no crash pad write offs.

Yes you may CHOOSE to Commute But the first year of your NEW temp housing is deductible.

call it a crash pad , hotel, motor home what ever.
it is still temp housing related to your new location caused by your employment. would you move your permanent residence every year?
no I choose to see what the new place is like before I sell and move. Now as it happens my job I move every year or so.

Go ahead and deduct that crash pad and let us know how it works out for you when you get the almighty audit.

The only loop hole related to the crash pad falls under moving expenses related to. If you transferred bases but did not move your primary home, these expenses are considered a professional deduction versus a moving deduction. If you had any expenses related to moving your crash pad or airport car from one base deduct away. Distance driven from old base to new base, travel expenses (beer), and lodging expense during the move. There are also many deductions related to TDYs that fall strictly outside of the confines of crash pads. Remember the Hill says we choose to commute....no crash pad write offs.

I will re-iterate what someone else said .. www.pilot-tax.com. They've been doing crew taxes for years and have a worksheet which lists all deductions. Since it is proprietary I cannot list it here.

You'd be surprised what you can -- and can't -- deduct.

How about this: My company has me sign a tax form that documents my home and therefore state taxes be taken out in the state I live in (not where I am based). That's my "Tax home". Now I have to commute to another state to begin my trips and I have a crash pad.

Is this different regarding deductions?

My previous tax preparer was ex-IRS auditor (not sure why he left, but probably $$)

He said 6 months after a base change all commuting expenses were allowed - whether the move was voluntary or involuntary.

After this period - you are "deciding to commute" and can no longer deduct expenses. I could swap bases easily and we would document base change dates. I wrote off 6 months every year and sometimes all 12 months (2 base swaps).

Never got audited, so LTBB.

Just my experience - if it helps.

Latest resources

Back