Tax deductions for CFII and MEI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

outoftime

I've been a longtime reader, but this is my first actual post.

I'm attempting to get my CFI in January. I know that I can't deduct the expenses associated with the CFI- initial. If I understand the limited info out there, however, I should be able to deduct my CFII and MEI expenses since it is to further my job as a CFI (since CFII and MEI involve the same field - not for a different profession). I have a day job that is my primary income (would this matter that I'm not CFI full time?), and make above the standard deduction - which is why I want to know if I can take a deduction on these future ratings. I hate taxes - can anyone help me out? Up to this point, I have never attempted to deduct any of my flying whatsoever.

Thanks,

Super Tax Stupid

I looked at this a few years ago - IIRC the training had to cost more than $3800 for there to be any deduction (mine didn't cost that much). I'm no expert though ...

I think the wording has to be along the lines of "furthurance of your career". If what you're trying to deduct will make you more money (and, to the IRS-mind, pay more taxes), then, by all means, deduct it.

I deducted my 737 type rating, I paid for myself.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back