Tattoo Hinderance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kit Darby

I haven't sought a commuter or regional job in more than eight years and I continue to be amazed at how the more things change the more they stay the same. Kit Darby has espoused the navy suit, white shirt and red tie manifesto for as long as I've followed airline hiring, which is a good 15 years.

I tried it both ways. I happen to look good in brown and I already had a nice brown suit when I went to my first interview, with WestAir/United Express, in 1990. At that interview there was the usual cattle call. Applicants were wearing all kinds of suits, ties, sport coats and slacks. Later, after reviewing Kit's "recommendations," I was amazed. I wasn't hired, but I'd bet other applicants were hired from that day.

Two months later, I interviewed at Mesa. At that time Mesa crews were wearing white shirts but with brown ties and brown epaulets, so I thought wearing my brown suit was a safe bet; you know, the "experts" recommend that you should appear at an interview in attire that matches the company culture as close as possible. I suffered the same result of that interview; no offer. I concluded that maybe I wasn't dressing right.

Well, as Paul Harvey says, here's the rest of the story. I bought a navy blue suit and red tie. I wore this outfit to the rest of my interviews. The result? You guessed it - no offers.

It is all so ridiculous. Some people look great in navy. Others don't. Having said all that, and with a sigh, probably the safest route for the interview of your life is to follow Darby's stupid rules and play his stupid game.

There are a lot of other reasons I don't like Kit Darby which are subject matter for another thread.

Just for the fun of it, and also because I learned a lot from reading this book, I'll suggest reading Dress for Success by John T. Molloy, ISBN 0446385522.

Good luck with your interview.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back