Tanzania & Zambia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KC-10 Driver

Shot in the dark here, if anyone has any advice to give in this area, but...

I'm in the very early planning stages of a family holiday to Africa. I've been considering Zambia and Tanzania due to a couple of specific places I'd like to take my family.

Zanzibar in Tanzania has always interested me as a fascinating place to visit. And, I've also always wanted to visit Victoria Falls. I always thought I'd visit the Falls from the Zimbabwe side. However, I'm concerned about the political unrest in that country these days.

I'm just beginning to plan this trip. I'd appreciate any advice.

What are the best times of year to visit? Is it relatively convenient to link these two disparate locations into one trip? Of course, I'd like to take a wildlife safari (for spotting, not shooting), so any advice in this area would also be appreciated. Is the Zambian side of Victoria Falls as good as, or perhaps better than, the Zimbabwean side?

This would be a family holiday, to include three younger children (under ten years of age).

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I spent some time in Zambia in 1994.

Victoria Falls or "Mosi oa Tunya" (smoke that thunders) is a sight to see, but if that's the only reason why you are going, it's really not worth the trip, honestly. It's out of the way and only slightly more grand than Niagara. I haven't seen it from the Zimbabwean side, however.

If you're interested in a wildlife safari, check out Zambia, believe it or not. It's a fraction of the cost of Kenya/Tanzania, and your photographs will not include other Land Cruisers and white people in Khakis.

The South Luangwa National Park is an excellent place for wildlife viewing. Tanzania certainly is more developed, and probably easier than Zambia, but it's also much more commercial because of its popularity.

Enjoy!

Latest resources

Back