Tanker Groundings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Epilog

Terry Barton, the former forest service worker accused of starting the Hayman fire, has changed her plea from innocent to guilty in a plea bargain arrangment relating to the 2 federal charges she was facing (1)starting a fire on federeal lands and 2)lying to investigators). Sentencing will be in Feb, but details of the plea bargain agreement are as follows:

6 years in prison
possible restitution

Barton is free until sentencing on a $600K bond.

133 houmes destroyed
137,000 acres burned
$38 million in damages

There are state/county charges that are also pending after the feds are through with her.

Very sad for everyone/everything involved.

Hello,
The aerial tanker program is one of the government's "dirty little secrets". The program has always been run on a shoestring budget. As anyone that has been to Hemet Valley flying Service over the years can attest to. I've personally seen this operation as well as Aero Union's tanker base a Fox Field in Lancaster, CA.
Aerial tankers fall into a grey area in the Federal Aviation regulations and the individual operators seemingly operate at the whim of the government (and their low-bids of course). I am not trying to sound cynical or make a sweeping generalization, because the men and women that fly these airplanes and maintain them are some of the most talented people in aviation. What is needed is better policing of the industry, but not by government, but by the companies that do business in the dynamic, dangerous and often less than lucrative aerial tanker business.
In an ideal-world a purpose built aircraft would be ideal. As a few of you have pointed out this is already in existence in the form of the CL-415 and 215. These are magnificent airplanes, but beaucoup dinero to buy. Thats why they are only operated by governments or the military. France, Canada and Greece are three countries that have fleets of CL-415s or 215s for the tanker mission. I know some of you think that the militry in the US could perform this mission. Well, it already does in the form of ANG units equipped with C-130s that have the ability to be configured with MAFFS. However, there are only a couple of units that have the firefighting mission, and albeit a secondary or even tertiary mission at that. Based on DoD priorities and the funds available I serious doubt that the scope of the firefighting/MAFFS program will be expanded.
Could the Dept. of the Interior perfom the mission with modern equipment? Yes, but again who is going to pay the bill and what congressmen are going to back another progam to grow the government even more? Not very many, at least in my opinion.
The biggest problem facing the tanker industry besides the obvious lack of adequate internal policing is fleet modernization. On a whole a large portion of the tanker fleet(s) are all approaching critical mass at the same time. More to the point the money is simply not there for them to afford adequate replacements. Sure, the C-130 and the P-3 are rugged aircraft, but most of the models that they are operating are not only long in tooth, but are also very expesive to modify and maintain for the attack mission.
In the end I'm just an individual that has seen this coming for 10 years, and perhaps a lot of people in the industry have too. Hopefully, someone with some leadership ability will take the bull by the horns and get this fixed OR the government is liable to do try and fix it...Anyone remember what happened when they were pressed into service to carry the mail? It was a disaster!

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

Grounded Tankers

Sorry about how long this got, but I had a few little things to say.

As per the prior post about grounded airtankers posted by Kaman, there are a few irregularities, understably posted by someone not familar with the industry.
First off, Aero Union nor Hemet Valley operated thier own tanker bases, these are owned/leased facilities of the US government. Aero Union provides aircraft and pilot services to fullfill contracts let by the US Department of Agriculture. Hemet Valley has not been around for 6 to 8 years, I am not totally sure. As for the "shoe string budget", to anyone associated with the military, yes, I would imagine the budget or spending style seems almost non-existant. As a taxpayer, I think the budget has gotten out of hand with regards to the fire fighting industry. You must realize we are only trying to do one small thing in the big picture, where as the military is trying to deal with many things.
As far as the part about operating in the "grey area", I wil list two numbers which I operate under every day that I show up to work, wether I fly or not. Part 91 & Part 137. There are alot of rules which are contained inside those two very unimportant numbers. I will not get into the many times which the FAA decides to come and visit us over the course of a year to see if we are playing nicely and fairly and by the rules.
To touch on the subject of internal policing, I have many bosses, just as many of you do that police me until there is no end. From your first 135 job to captain of a 777 or 747 or whatever anyones opinion of the Big League is, you are policed.
To address mission specific aircraft, I haven't got a clue as what to tell anyone. What would I like? I would love to be able to operate an aircraft which could withstand +9/-9 g's, I would love that aircraft to be able to cruise loaded with a payload of 45,000 pounds or about 5000 gallons of fire retardant to the fire at 350 knots then be able to slow down to about 130 knots while manuvering inside canyons and around homes in the mountains without having to worry about stalling the aircraft when I through her into a 60 degree bank to make a drop run trying to save someone's awesome mountain cabin. Heck I would settle to be able to just have turbine engines that I would not have to worry about underboosting, overboosting, exceding torque values, shock cooling, and trying to push pistons and PRT turbines through the cylinders or cowlings. But the aircraft I fly now, a Lockheed LP2V-7 Neptune, the predecessor to the P3 Orion, does very very well. Even with those big piston engines on here. At gross wieght of 80,000 pounds I fly off the Cedar City, UT. airport in 101 degree temps. and density altitudes of 10,000 feet, the CL-215, Cl-215T, and Cl-415 would be hard pressed to accomplish that. Then I have to climb to 14,000 feet to clear all those pretty mountains on the way to the fire and work at elevations of around 10,000 feet, I am not for sure but I do not believ the Canadair products can even operate gross wieght at these altitudes. Tell that to Mr. and Mrs. taxpayer as thier beautiful cabin burns up.
Ah, the age old pissin contest about MAFFS, as a person in the industry, albeit not that long, the Air National Gaurd guys and gals that come out to supplment us civilian contractor pilots try thier hardest, but civilian aviation practices and miliyary are two very different monsters entirely. In my opinion that is solely due to money, the military does not have to turn a profit, we do. The military has a large budget, we do not. The military has different rules than civilian operators, this causes alot of frustration amongst the pilots on all sides. Those ANG units put in alot of hard time when they come out to play with us poor ole redneck pilots but I think they like it.
And to cover the last part of Kaman's post about someone trying to take the wheel and steer the beast in the right direction, there are alot of folks out there trying to do just that. You can go to Airtanker.com and go to the message board and read from alot of folks in the industry, please play nice there.
Anything else you folks want to talk about, feel free to wrire back on the board and I will try to answer anything I can and I bet Avbug would help out to.

So, how big a city is Greybull?

Hello,
I honestly don't have a lot of information about Hemet Valley Flying Service, but they had a large facility at the Hemet Valley Airport and they were also a certified repair station. Hemet is also a CDF base and at times have had OV-10s and S-2s operating out of there. It's been awhile since I've been bck to SoCal (1998). Romona, CA is also used as a base during the fire season and was the scene of an unfortunate mid-air between a DC-4 and a Baron. This set-off a cry for opening a seasonal tower, but that never came to anything. Last I heard my old Navy dept head is the airport manager there.
I was almost certain that Aero Union operated a maintenance/storage base out of Gen. Fox field in Lancaster. They had all the rigs for "hot-pumping" agent into the tankers and last time I was there quite a few P-2s were sitting onthe ramp in storage for the off-season.
No doubt the FAA watchdogs the industry, but I think that the track record speaks for itself when it comes to them using less than a sharp pencil when it comes to the tanker industry. This more a matter of necessity than it is of ignorance. The FAA simply doesn't have enough inspectors to birddog what is essentially a government contracted operation.
I agree that is going to be VERY difficult to affordably acquire "new" tankers. Obviously, the CL-415 is out due to cost. Although, it is the aircraft of choice. I can't qoute directly, but the airplane, especially the 415 has outstanding hot and high performance. The airplane is designed to operate at the extreme edge of it's performance envelope. After all that is what tanker flying is and as you can testify it pushes the limits of airplane and pilot. Nor is it forgiving of any mistakes or negligence. Screw-up and you have a pretty good chance of busting your A**.
You guys that do this type of flying have my utmost respect and admiration and I sure hope that you get the tools that you need to do your jobs safely and protect our forest resources and the people that live in the surrounding area.

Fly safe,

ex-Navy rotorhead

I am certain that Fox field is Fedaral air tanker base. As well as avbug and dahldale, I have hauled retardant out of there, Aero Union is based out of Chico, CA. As far as SEATS, Yellow Canadian airplanes, heavy tankers, S2' s and helicopters, they all have they're place in a effective aerial firefighting aresenal. In my opinion, remove one of those tools, and you reduce effectiveness. I noticed this year, the USFS was relying on heavy airtankers to put fires out. Without ground support, that wont happen. I saw alot of unesassary and ineffective retardant uaeage. That to me is unsafe.
Policy needs to change as well.

Just my 2 cents

Greybull:

It's the right size. One local grocery store, but no supermarket. A nice downtown with literally a block of shops. Walk through town in about twenty minutes. Drive to Laurel, MT (and Billings) is just under an hour if I remember correctly.

Time to move one of these days for me, they put up a second stoplight on my way to work! Two now! And all the non-gringo places to eat have closed shop up here...

Personally I'd love to live in Greybull, but then, I enjoy "rural" living.

Dan

Greybull is just about the right size. Dahldale knows about that, cuz his dad flies out of there, also in a P2.

HVFS went under a long time ago. Hemet ceased being a federal base, too. Federal tankers now fly from San Berdoo, while CDF still maintains ops at Hemet. Ramona was cut off for all but DC-4's a while ago, and now mostly caters to lighter CDF traffic. Fox has been a federal base forever, and aero union has no maintenance facility there. Their only mx facility is Chico.

The FAA provides the same oversight to air tanker ops as they do to most operations under Part 137...it's no different. Air tankers still meet the same airworthiness requirements that every other aircraft does...H&P's aircraft were maintained under a phase inspection program, just the same as any Part 121 large airplane...but they see a lot more regular maintenance and timely maintenance...and the crews often take care of squawks as they occur in the field. This doesn't even happen in the military or the airlines. Further, very rarely will you find any other type of operation in which the crewmembers are all qualified mechanics, with the tools, parts, and mx publications on board the aircraft.

Tankers don't see substandard oversight or maintenance. Anyone who thinks so hasn't worked very closely with the industry. A cry went out after T-130 shed it's wings this year, saying that the airplane wasn't properly maintained. Not so. But a properly maintained airplane could never shed a wing or part in flight, right? How about Flight 587, or several other inflight structural failures that have occured on Part 121 airplanes in the past few years? It happens. It just happens that tankers operate in demanding conditions which apply a great deal more stress in a shorter time period, than most any other kind of operation.

The fact is that T-130 was receiving NDI testing via ultrasonic and dye penetrant much more frequently than the scheduled program required. More so than most any maintenance program might have required.

Further, the oversight provided to these airplanes hasn't been lacking. Very thorough inspections of facilities, personnel, equipment, aircraft, and paperwork are conducted. I know for a fact that the maintenance department at H&P, a Part 145 repair station for qualifications concerning almost everything, has won awards from the FAA for their maintenance, practices, and record keeping. They conduct contract maintenance on an international basis. I'm familiar with it, because I was a mechanic and inspector in that repair station.

The CL-415 is not the aircraft of choice. It is a choice, but not the choice.

MAFFS is okay for a stopgap measure, but is severely limited on resource and capability. It is not the answer, but a tool.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back