Tango November

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Seadogrun

I found it in the AIM, but is there a Regulation that requires a charter to file "Tango" before the N number?

I rarely hear anyone using this anymore.

AIM 4-2-4 Aircraft Call Signs

4. Air Taxi or other commercial operators not having FAA authorized call signs should prefix their normal identification with the phonetic word "Tango."

Example: Tango Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.

I didn't find a regulation saying you have to do it, and the word "should" seems to indicate is not a "must".

AIM 4-2-4 Aircraft Call Signs

4. Air Taxi or other commercial operators not having FAA authorized call signs should prefix their normal identification with the phonetic word "Tango."

Example: Tango Aztec Two Four Six Four Alpha.

I didn't find a regulation saying you have to do it, and the word "should" seems to indicate is not a "must".

Yes I had found what you have stated in the AIM. I was wondering if there is something reglatory out there.

I believe that immediately after 9/11/01, there was an FDC NOTAM (one of the many published) that mentioned using TN for charter operators, but I don't recall the exact phrasology (should vs. shall, etc). As FDC NOTAMS are regulatory, there seemed to be a short-lived increase in the use of TN. Since then, I haven't seen it mentioned except in the AIM.

At my old fractional, we used to use it when flying internationally, as our callsign was not recognized outside of the US ATC system.

I used to use it frequently on 135 flights (if I was the one to file the flightplan), but most people do not. Never heard about anyone getting in trouble for not using it. I can't imagine why ATC would care whether we're operating 91 or 135. Still, if it's in the AIM....

After 9/11 we did have to use TN because of the prohibition of part 91 aircraft to fly under class B airspace.

Now, the only reference I find is in the AIM.

The controllers on the big island in Hawaii will give slight priority handling over trainning flights at the airport to 135 Tengo November flights.

Latest resources

Back