• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tallahassee, Florida

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What.........you want to know privately? Just ask and I am sure someone will be able to help you out. If you don't want anyone to know just start out by saying "A friend of mine wants to know............."

Well basically I'm looking to meet some people because I'll be moving there in the fall to go to FSU.

I am 20 years old and I will be attending FSU in the fall as a "sophomore and a half" so to speak. I have my private pilots license and I am almost done with my instrument. I have a little over 200 hours logged Total Time.

A friend of mine is a pilot for a few people that own a few planes - Piper Lance, Saratoga, and a Navajo/Chieftain. For the past 3 years I've been sitting in the right seat. None of this time is logged because I don't have my high performance sign off, no multi-engine ticket, and I'm sitting in the right seat (friend isn't an MEI). Whenever we fly those planes it's always on an IFR flight plan and under part 91 operations. I handle all the radios and pretty much do everything a co-pilot would do at a corporate or fractional job - fill up/empty coffee, ice, open/close doors for passengers, get the clearance, do all the radios, etc....

A friend of mine has been flying 2 Navajo's part 91 for the past few years with another guy. Well, my friend just completed the Navajo training at SimCom in Orlando. Now that he's done with that, he is allowed to fly the Navajo by himself (he couldn't before for insurance purposes). Just within the past few months, I've been going with him quite a bit.

What I'm getting to is, when I come to FSU in the fall, I want to try and find some pilots that I could ride along with in the right seat and do what I was doing down here in Panama City for the past 3 years. Even if I can't log the time, it is still excellent experience, I think, and I love doing it. So, I'm leaving this message so I can try to find meet some people over in Tallahassee and also try to meet some pilots that are looking for somebody to occupy their right seat.

If you can help me at all I would appreciate any input.

Thanks for your time!

-Nick Kitchen
[email protected]

Nick,

I think you are doing yourself a great disservice by not getting your multi-engine and high performance sign off. Most people are unsuccesful when they try to find someone to let them ride along. I'll bet that if you had your multi and high-performance sign off, you would have the opportunity to log some time as PIC on those aircraft. Go to ATP in JAX and get your multi in a couple of days and by all means, get the high perfomance sign off. It's a joke of an endorsement. It's usually only an hour or so of ground and an hour in the plane. I don't know what your goals are, but trust me, logbook time is hard to come by. Please don't waste your opportunity by not being rated. You never know when the person you are flying with will say, "hey, can you take the controls for a while." Remember, every tenth of an hour is precious in this business. Take advantage of your opportunity. Good luck.

I agree 100% with flyboy- by all means go to ATP and take advantage of this situation that you are in.....

I am sure a few people out there would take it if possible-

3 5 0

I have talked it over with my dad because he's the one who would be paying for it. I'm in the middle of my instrument and probably going to get my commercial single-engine before I go off to FSU. Mine as well throw in that multi why I'm there huh?

Thanks a lot!
-Nick Kitchen
[email protected]

TLH

There are two operators in Tallahassee

1) Eagle Aircraft - Maybe they do 'trips' now maybe not, maintenance is not as bad as everyone says, but I would say they are slightly below the average for an FBO in aircraft appearance. They do not have a 135 certificate anymore. They do have a Lance and a Navajo that is operated with some sort of club arrangement from what I understand. They also have a few cessnas and a flight school. I don't know how many instructors are out there right now.

2) Flightline - They have a few aircraft they manage, including a saratoga and navajo. I'm pretty sure they no longer have a 135 certificate. They have a flight school that includes a few archers and thats about it.

If you'd like to ride along for free I'd suggest your chances are better at Eagle aircraft, but not particularly good at either location.

If you'd like to get a multi rating do it before you go to TLH because there isn't one for rent in town last I checked.

When I went to FSU they had a flight club that never actually flew or met, but maybe its better now.

Latest resources

Back