• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Talking with the PAX at a Frac.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I like to get out of my seat and talk to the pax a few minutes after cruise. we dont have an intercom, so I like to check if they need anthing and I have them as a capive audience for ground trandportation and return flight info. Its a great time to check out some cleavage.

Diesel said:
wasn't that a VIP unit that plowed with ron brown into the side of the mountain?

In the end the report found the crew and the unit comander at fault.
That was "Miss Piggy," a CT-43 (B737-200) assigned to the 76th Airlift Squadron at Ramstein Airbase and designated IFOR 21 for the Brown flight to Dubrovnik. There were command issues with the the 86th Wing that the 76th was assigned to. A friend of mine, James A, who is currently a standards guy for TAG, was relieved of command 5 days prior to the April 1996 accident for not scheduling the marginally equipped aircraft into bad weather. The CT-43 had two VORs and a single ADF.

It was after the mishap that Mike Ryan fired the three officers that were above James in the foodchain.

IFOR 21 was flying the the NDB 12 approach into Dubrovnik. The aircraft was running 15 minutes late which is a big deal because we were only allowed planned arrival time plus or minus 3 minutes. Weather was not an issue. It was about 2500 feet overcast with a lower broken deck and 12 knot winds. The crew was late configuring and fast - 180 knots at the final approach fix and the gear was not down.

The NDB 12 Approach is a two NDB approach. One NDB (KLP I believe) is about 12 miles from the field and the other (CV) is about 2 miles from the field. The crew was using a non - DOD approach plate which the command had requested a waiver to use which was denied. It is possible that the crew was unfamiliar with the plate format. In any event they were inside of the first NDB and did not retune their single ADF to the NBD ahead of them. That NDB is abeam St. Johns Mountain which is depicted on the approach chart.

Subsequently, the jet was 9 degrees or about 1.8 nm left of course at the CV NDB which was also the missed approach point. They crashed into St. Johns Mountain well East Northeast of course. Tragic.

Grizz can probably tell you more about the mishap, all T-43 crews were briefed on it.

Semore Butts - I think SeaSpray is assigned to SHAPE.

GV

~

Last edited:
Ummm????

Thanks GV, I'm familiar with SHAPE as well.

I arrived in the Bosnian theatre (96-97) just after the crash.

There is alot of "fishy" stuff associated with that crash. This is of course not the place to go into details.

There was a rumor of a possible "Meaconing" event.

Ron Brown wasn't exactly in good favor with the powers to be at that time as I understand.

Last year I flew the VIP to Tuzla to perform the closing ceremony.

Wow, I feel like "Where's Waldo".

I didn't see any "G's" there either.

SeaSpray said:
Here is a guy that's a career VIP pilot who finished his military service with six years at the most prestigious executive aviation organization on the planet

SS

YAWWWWN!!!!!

Diesel said:
wasn't that a VIP unit that plowed with ron brown into the side of the mountain?

In the end the report found the crew and the unit comander at fault.

I was a brand new 2lt in my first few weeks at Ramstein as a member of the 76 AS when the T-43 crashed. Diesel, I'm a long-time lurker/infrequent poster on these boards, and I agree and support 99% of the stuff you've ever said, especially when it came to the new contract last year, but you shouldn't use a mishap to make a point about any one pilot group not being any better than another. I'll agree that OSA squadrons aren't any better (maybe just a little!) than your average USAF squadron, and certainly aren't any worse. I actually agree with your point about the 86th folks--having started my USAF career as an OSA guy (and loved it), I was never interested in applying with the 89th, just based on what I heard from friends in that wing--politics, personality of the units, etc.. I agree with your point, but crashes are never the best way to make a point. The pilots in that unit were some of the best aviators and professionals I've had that chance to fly with.

We've all lost friends in this job, unfortunatly crashes are the best way to make a point. Thats why those that learn, learn from the mistakes of others.

As they say if you don't study history you'll be doomed to repeat it.

SeaSpray said:
Here is a guy that's a career VIP pilot who finished his military service with six years at the most prestigious executive aviation organization on the planet

SS

hydrarkt said:
YAWWWWN!!!!!

The voice of professional envy speaks...

`

Last edited:
just to get back to the original topic of the thread. Talking to the pax is dependent on them. Obviously all the usual hi how are you is there anything i can get you blah blah. After that if they want to talk im cool with that but i usually try to leave them alone, they re not paying all that money to bs with me.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back