Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On your very first solo, I wouldn't.
On the cross country trips? Hell yeah.

Let me clarify this by saying that I don't mean go for the million dollar shot but point the camera out the window and click, it takes a second. Do it a couple of times, and if it's a digital camera when you're on the ground you can review what to keep.

Another idea if you want some cool pictures, later on in your training, grab a CFI hand he/she the camera and ask them to take pictures as you fly the pattern or take a video. I had mine do it and he took a picture every few seconds on final, it was pretty cool to see us getting closer to the runway and landing in still frames.

Just remember to fly the plane, there won't be any pictures if you crash. Well only in the newspapers but I don't think those are the pictures you are going for.

BankAccount=0$ said:
I took pictures on my first solo X-C. Somewhere between DED and DAB there in the picture was an airplane that I obviously did NOT see. It's kinda hard to practice see and avoid when looking through a camera viewfinder. Take the pics when you're not flying by yourself, that's my advice......or wait untill you're an airline pilot, plenty of time to snap pics on 2+ hour legs........

I'm with BankAccount....leave the photo shoots for when you can bring a co-pilot along to do it for you. It simply is not possible to scan for traffic if you're goofing around with a damm camera.

Clear-&aMillion said:
I want to do this, but I can already see people saying "That's a dangerous distraction". "Not on your first solo", etc... Any thoughts???
The thought will not even cross your mind. You'll be too excited and screaming at the top of your lungs as you realize that all of your hard work has just paid off in spades.

The only crappy part is that it gets a little harder before it gets easier, but the strut you'll have for the 1st 48 hours after you get your PPL is something you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Lead Sled said:
You're going to be in the pattern, probably with other aircraft, you'll be up to your eyebrows in airplane and you ask that question? I wouldn't take pictures of myself flying in the pattern. I hate to say this, but if I were your CFI I'd be questioning your judgment. Personally, I don't think you're ready to solo.

'Sled

I think your being a little hard on the kid...i mean at least he asked the question here instead of just making his own decisions...he obviously has enough sense to ask for better judgement...that in and of itself is judgement. I think he will do just fine, and i dont think you can say he isnt ready to solo based on one post...arrogant pilots piss me off. to clear: Have fun on your solo but be safe...things will happen fast and ask if you dont understand. its that simple...just ask..be aware of traffic in the pattern as well.

Clear-&aMillion said:
I want to do this, but I can already see people saying "That's a dangerous distraction". "Not on your first solo", etc... Any thoughts???
Go ahead, just don't do em over my house. Besides, I hear the babes say that a man with skin grafts is a real turn on.

I personally think someone taking pictures on the ground would have more meaning.

First solo takeoff, first solo landing. Also, of the shirt. Those are much cooler then...first downwind.

Just thought of something that might be cool - using a camera with a burst shot, like a 9 frame, during the landing. That would be cool in a side-by-side frame.

Last edited:
Why don't you bring your video cameral and then post it on here? That seems like the "in" thing to do lately.

I would definitely wait until your solo XC (or perhaps a solo trip out to the practice area) to take pics. You'll see why once you're up there that first time.

Definitely do have someone take pictures from the ground, though. My wife made me a cool framed poster thing which contained pictures of my first solo landing, my t-shirt tail with all the relevant info, and me standing next to the plane on the ground afterwards. Very cool.

DJS said:
Definitely do have someone take pictures from the ground, though.
Why not just have someone take a photo of when you get out after completing the first solo. I would think it would be very distracting trying to get your first solo buzz job photographed properly.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back