Taking pictures at military bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tathepilot

What is the policy about civilians taking pictures at military bases?

If this is prohibited, under what statue does this fall..?

Under the statue of liberty? Sorry had to...

Usually specific areas will be posted where no camera's are allowed, otherwise snap away.

In the good old days of the Cold War you were not supposed to take pictures on the flight line, but if you really wanted to you could ask the base Public Affairs guy for a little permission slip that authorized picture taking. I did it a couple of times.

If I recall, the law is posted on the sign itself. I may be wrong though. I am sure whatever security force that meets you would be happy to explain the law.

The best thing to do is call the public affairs office at the base you want to photograph. They are the ones who deal with that kind of request. All they can say is 'no', but they might say 'yes'.

Not sure which statue it falls under, however the signs usually say "By order of installation commander". He is personally responsible nothing of value to national security gets compromised.

I was taking pics of an old base I was stationed at back in the 80's. Most of it is civilian now. I was taking pics of the main gate and the general area when I got a visit from the local civilian police and the MP's. They took my name and address then sent me on my way. This was a former air faciltity and now theres just a small admin activity there. Go figure.

Cops unfortunately aren't allowed to use reasoning or common sense (no insult intended). They have to follow the rules to and by the letter.

ROE - Find red line that enclose aircraft parking area, run full speed towards red line, do NOT stop, keep going while pulling out your camera (sts) and start taking pictures. End

Latest resources

Back