takeoff minimums

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vortex

I understand that takeoff minimums are published in the front of the NOS pubs.

What I can't find is what the standard required ceiling is for an airport without a t/o minimum and departure procedure.

I know that for one or two engine aircraft the vis is one mile- but there is no mention of ceiling. Is the ceiling defined in 135/121 ops specs or am I just not looking in the right place?

Thanks again for your help.

In our op specs the minimums are the same as the lowest minumums for the precision approach at that airport

Generally speaking, min ceilings don't come into play until you start talking about alternate airports.

Our Op Specs make no mention of ceilings at all in regards to T/O mins. We, as I'm sure most other airlines, have reduced T/O mins which allow takeoff as low as RVR 600/600/600 provided certain lighting and markings requirements are met.

Hope this helps a little.

BR

If you think about it...you're taking off. Unless you plan to stay below the ceiling, it's not an issue. There is no ceiling requirement for takeoff; you'll be climbing through whatever that ceiling is, anyway.

Visibility is the issue when taking off. You indicated the takeoff minimums in the front of the (former) NOS charts. Note that these don't include a ceiling, except in cases requiring visual obstacle avoidance.

The controlling factor when performing a takeoff or landing, or approach, is not ceiling. It is visibility; specifically that reported for the TDZ, if available.

Latest resources

Back