Takeoff intervals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avbug

During a recent discussion on a wake turbulence thread, Mickey made a statement which I disputed using several sources, including the AIM.

On review of my rendering of the AIM, my emphasis was misplaced. The pargraph to which I referred, 7-3-9(b)(2), does specify three minutes separation between a small and a large aircraft. HOWEVER, my error was not reading close enough. This subparagraph refers to a small aircraft departing in the opposite direction on the same runway.

Mickey was specifically referring to aircraft departing from the same threshold, and therefore the same direction. I am, therefore, in error in using that reference for the discussion.

My apologies for the error, to Mickey, and to those who participated in that thread.

MITOs

Hi!

I flew KC-135 tankers, among other things, in the AF. We had a MITO procedure-Minimum Interval TakeOffs, where we took off at 5?, 8?, 10? second intervals on the same runway, same direction.

It got pretty interesting sometimes, having 2 or more heavy aircraft leaving together. I'll bet there are some B-52 pilots that did the same thing and have some good stories.

Can you imagine, watching a couple of NWA 747s taking off mere seconds apart at MSP? I'll bet some aircraft watchers would love to see that!

Cliff
gb,wi

Takeoff Intervals and MITOs

avbug,

Thanks for clearing that up. I enjoy reading your posts because you list references to back up your statements. As a military pilot soon to enter civilian aviation, I learn a few things here and there from posts like yours.

atpcliff,

Our interval was 12 seconds from power application of the leading aircraft to power application of the following aircraft, if they were the same model. Otherwise, it was 30 seconds between power applications for the takeoff. You're right, it could get rather sporty for the sixth B-52 in a six-ship cell formation. Fly safe.

:cool:

Last edited:
Avbug,
I think I would enjoy flying with you in either an airplane or the hanger.
Take care.

Latest resources

Back