Takeoff briefings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
aborting at V1

You all need to understand why Twotter76 aborts for anything below V1. The Twin Otter, a.k.a. Turbine Turtle has a MGTOW V1 of 75 kias, 79 kias is V2. There are VERY few runways that a Twin Otter can’t abort on at V1. So in this case, aborting for any caution lights or other abnormalities is perfectly acceptable… Flying anything faster than a Twin Otter is different story though…

I got yer turtle right here!

HEY I resemble uhm I mean resent that turtle remark! Though I do agree that a ground abort beyond about 80 knots (regardless of aircraft type) is going to be a risky proposition. And BTW some of the airports we fly into an abort even at V1 is going to be very, very exciting (read: less than 1500' runway length) so it should definitely be considered beforehand and all options considered BEFORE ever taking the runway.

I flew as a Lear captain for a few years and a Challenger captain for about a year. Here is what I use to use for my briefing:
"Oh cripes this stuff scares me! OK OK OK I CAN DO THIS! We will do a two engine take off today because from what I hear, jets will fall out of the sky with only one engine. NOW, I really had too many beers last night so my reaction time may be a little slow BUT you are not to touch anything. Now at 400 feet, I want my coffee to help me get over this hangover. It MUST be black only. If you see any minor deviations in altitude (+/- 700 feet) you can call them to my attention. You must always address me as 'Captain' or Captain Handsome'. If we make it through the take-off and climb, we will level off at our desired crusing altitude. At this point, you must remind me where we are going because my memory ain't what it used to be. At this point, you must remind me where we are going because my memory ain't what it used to be."
There is more to the briefing but usually by this time my f/o just quit paying attention.

Latest resources

Back