• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Take that, Airman...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good job on the rating. Besides the CFI it was the toughest checkride - not even the Falcon 20 compared to it! Anyway, not to sound like the old guy, but don't go looking for that heavy single pilot IFR stuff out of the chute. I can tell you after a few hundred hours of actual, give me a beauty of a day and I'm happy. However, you will have to learn for yourself and create your own personal minimums...just don't be too aggressive too quick - its not worth it, not even for bragging rights. Good luck & I'm glad I didn't choose that school when I was looking a few years back!!

pilotpat - how would you say a "typical" type rating checkride goes? Mostly systems oral then emergency & abnormal procedures on the flight?

Not that I'll be having one soon but...couldn't hurt.

-mini

Minitour - to be honest with you the most difficult thing about going for a type rating is the training itself. Both the Diamondjet/Beechjet and Falcon 20 were done with FlightSafety, Wichita and Dallas respectively. 2 weeks of training is "all" it takes to get a type for those. I'll break it down quickly.
Week 1 is mostly ground school. Systems and systems and a little more on systems! LOL At the end you take a pretty easy (if you studied) test that's graded to 100%.
Week 2 is usually all simulator training. The tough stuff. You will get every emergency procedure they can think of, plus you will shoot 4 or 5 different approaches - landing with only one of them - the last one! OH - did I mention you will also do steep turns and stalls? Yeah, we all thought they were over after the CFI stuff, right?!? Nope, you will continue to do them throughout your career!
The checkride. Your instructor will only sign you off if they know you are gonna pass. BUT....and this is a big but...remember FlightSafety is in the business of training. If your company, like mine, has a lot of airplanes and everyone goes through FSI, it is in their best interest to help you pass. They only "train to proficiency" - not that you'll be Joe Pilot once you have the ticket. They're depending on you getting your experience on the line. Anyway - yes, you will oral on systems and emergency memory items. You must know those memory items cold or you will fail and go back for "more" training. Actually, they try to get you to have them down before you even get to training - this helps a ton! The ride in the sim itself is a non-event. Honestly. The emergency they usually throw at you is something you may actually see. Like a Generator light or a Low Fuel Pressure light. Use the guy in the right seat properly and it's not a problem. One of the harder things to do are the V1 cuts. Basically, you lose an engine at rotation and continue the takeoff. This is something that usually bites the ones who are having problems. Remember, the sim is digital and responds to the slightest inputs! Be more gentle on it than you would holding an infant.
If you're going to a regional or major airline - forget everything I've just written!! Usually 6 weeks of training with like a week and a half of sim. If you don't cut it.........well, the chances of keeping your job are pretty slim.
Hope this helps - and even if you're not going for a type ride tomorrow, you can never tell what's around the corner. Be assertive but not cocky when you meet anyone who is a chief pilot/director of ops anywhere.

pilotpat said:
Good job on the rating. Besides the CFI it was the toughest checkride - not even the Falcon 20 compared to it! Anyway, not to sound like the old guy, but don't go looking for that heavy single pilot IFR stuff out of the chute. I can tell you after a few hundred hours of actual, give me a beauty of a day and I'm happy. However, you will have to learn for yourself and create your own personal minimums...just don't be too aggressive too quick - its not worth it, not even for bragging rights. Good luck & I'm glad I didn't choose that school when I was looking a few years back!!

No, definitely not looking to do single pilot IFR stuff right away. Probably go up with someone with more experience and get familiar with the area.

MFR

MFRskyknight said:
No, definitely not looking to do single pilot IFR stuff right away. Probably go up with someone with more experience and get familiar with the area.

MFR

Familiar with the area? Why you cannot see anything in IMC anyway! And Every thing you need to know is on the Chart & Approch plates.

NW_Pilot said:
Familiar with the area? Why you cannot see anything in IMC anyway! And Every thing you need to know is on the Chart & Approch plates.
Never hurts to have a second set of eyes and intellect sitting next to you until you get comfortable enough of your capabilities to start flying single-pilot IFR.

He's just being cautious and is setting his own personal limitations until he's more comfortable... you can't give him a hard time for that!

NW_Pilot said:

I agree what you need to know is on the IAP plate, however - go to Aspen in IMC without a bit of local knowledge and its pretty f'n hairy. I'm from the East Coast and we have a Beechjet based in Rifle that I got to fly before having to go into Aspen with another flat-lander. It certainly helped my SA!

User997 said:
Never hurts to have a second set of eyes and intellect sitting next to you until you get comfortable enough of your capabilities to start flying single-pilot IFR.

He's just being cautious and is setting his own personal limitations until he's more comfortable... you can't give him a hard time for that!

Not giving him a hard time at all I know him personally & have flown with him.

You may not always be comfortable flying in to unknown places while in IFR but that's the fun part of flying IFR getting there, going places in IMC and seeing that runway just appear ware you want it when you break out.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back