Take reserve job or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hondaflyer

Just wondering who's done it their first year out and how it was. Trying to figure out if we need to stay in. Any takers?

Boy that's a tough question to answer. There are so many variables.

1. What career on the outside are you going to be in? Do you anticipate a high level of job security? If you have any question about job security, staying in the Reserves provides an excellent backup plan. It's much easier to pick up some full time work in the Reserves than it is to get back in once you've gotten completely out.

2. Are you looking for extra pay? Probably. Who isn't? I took a large paycut getting out so doing the Reserves a few days a month/few weeks a year puts some extra cash in my pocket.

3. How would you and your family deal with you getting recalled to go to the desert for a year? As long as you carry a military ID card, that possibility is always there. What are the chances you ask? I'd say odds are in your favor NOT to get one of those assignments, but you never know.

4. Can you do Reserves where you live or will you have a long commute? If you have to fly somewhere or drive all day to meet your Reserve unit, that can kill some of your days off. Some guys I know commute to their airline job and commute to their Reserve job. That's gotta be a drag.

There are ways to do the Reserves where you're not really affiliated with any "hardware" unit and ways to limit how much of your time you have to give. Your Reserve recruiter should be able to help you out with what options are available to you.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
What do you do; what are you aspirations . . . is it flying?

Fins Up asks some good questions. Getting hired on the outside is challenging . . . you could be on the street without a job for more than several months. Its much easier to get a (flying) job when you're currently employed. While there are a few pilots who leave the military with a job, IMO they are the minority. Most transition/retirement services for military recommend a minimum 12-18 month plan before turning in that mil ID so if you want to get out in December, you've got some catch-up to do.
Good luck
'Props

The Guard has saved my butt since I was furloughed 4.5 years ago. Even though I've been to the Desert for 6 months during my AGR tour I'm still able to put food on the table and more importantly provide Medical for the wife and kids. It took me 2.5 years to get back into the Mil after I was laid off, I wish I had kept my hand in while I was flying the line when 9-11 came around. Good what ever you decide.

Thanks for the advice, guys. We were just hired by B6 and waiting for a class date. We REALLY don't want to deploy anymore (C-130 rotations are increasing in frequency and duration), but we could attain a reserve job at our current AETC base where deployments are minimal (but still possible). They want 6-8 days/month for 2-3 years and we'll probably be commuting with the new airline job. That means very little time at home. We could stay here, but that means not going home to family (that has a pilot dom). It also means moving off base (not that big of a deal). Anybody know how long it may take to get to FLL with jetBlue? That's another important question.

First, since I am a JetBlue guy, welcome aboard. DO NOT listen to all the crap about our company posted on this board. NOBODY knows how things are going to turn out for us but I am definitely optimistic. I started training in April and I am really enjoying life at JetBlue. If you have any questions about JB, check out the many threads on the Majors board or PM me.

C-130 - 6-8 days a month - You sound like a Navy guy working for a VR squadron. Do I know you? I'm hoping to get in with VR-62 in Brunswick, Maine. I should find out this week.

Get any AGR job you can to preserve retirement benefits. Flying or nonflying, command post, command center, etc, does not have to be flying.

Have fun at JB.

Scoreboard, AGR=full time. TG or TR = part time guy.

I agree with scoreboard's (I think) intent which is staying in the system keeps you from throwing away a lot of earned benefits. Also...God Forbid...what if they British terrorists attempts had been successful? How would that affect our careers? Flying C-130s as an additional job will be tough, but if you lost your job due to a furlough or faced being stuck at bottom of list for a 3-4 year hiring freeze, you might be greatful for the extra money, security, or benefits.

For what its worth, when my active duty brethren call me to shoot the breeze and ask advice about leaving active duty, I tell them its a great deal IF they can first locate a Guard or Reserve job. If they cannot--well--I'd stay in...unless they have a serious amount of cash laying around OR a spouse that can earn some serious money.

CES Stands for....

Of course it's not flying, but CE is hurting for officers. If you have a civil, electrical, (an EET would also work), architectural, mechanical, and a few other flavors, you can come to work without any Air Force training. You have the degree and that's all you need to start. There is Silver Flag which you have to do every two years I think, and some other stuff. My unit has a great bunch of people which is why I'm there vs. flying. It would get your foot back in the door and you might like it. Between my unit and one in a neighboring state, there are 5 openings for CE officers. Lots of enlisted openings too that require schools if you know someone interested in learning that end of the business.

Latest resources

Back