Tailwheel question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

As I was going through my logbook to get my resume up to date, I came across an entry that I don't think is quite right. Back in July 2004, I had 0.8 hours in a Citabria as part of my spin training. Even though I didn't have a tailwheel endorsement, the instructor marked my logbook as 0.8 dual received and PIC.

Now, should it ONLY be dual received, or am I okay to log PIC since I was sole manipulator?

This looks like another case where the distinction between "acting as PIC" and "logging PIC time" gets a little fuzzy.

From 61.51:

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;

Here's how I see it. If you are rated in SEL airplanes, and you were the sole manipulator of the controls, then you may log it as PIC. No additional rating exists for tailwheel equipped airplanes, even though 61.31 requires additional training and an endorsement in order to act as PIC of such aircraft. I would consider this to be the case until such time as a contrary ruling or written policy from FAA contradicts this opinion. In the meantime, if anyone questions this log entry, just tell them it's not to worry; some guy on the internet said it's OK!

Best,

charter dog said:
In the meantime, if anyone questions this log entry, just tell them it's not to worry; some guy on the internet said it's OK!
He can also tell them that the FAA Legal Counsel said it was okay more than 25 years ago.

Not in the least fuzzy. Basic "sole manipulator" stuff covered in what may the granddaddy of FAA Legal opinions on the subject.

I have a question: Do I have a tail wheel endorsement? I never got a tail wheel endorsement, but I am type rated in a dc-3. I think I'm rated for the 3 only. Personaly I would never fly a tail wheel with out some instruction because I would probabally friggin kill myself if I were to try it.......but just for argument sake!

SF3CA said:
I have a question: Do I have a tail wheel endorsement? I never got a tail wheel endorsement, but I am type rated in a dc-3. I think I'm rated for the 3 only. Personaly I would never fly a tail wheel with out some instruction because I would probabally friggin kill myself if I were to try it.......but just for argument sake!

If you logged PIC time in the DC-3 before april 15th, 1991 you are not required to have a tailwheel endorsement. Actually if you have any PIC time in any Tailwheel airplane before april 15th, 1991 you are are not required to have the endorsement.

The point that gets lost in these "acts as PIC' vs. "logs PIC" debates is how those entries will be viewed by a potential employer during an interview. I've seen it happen many times. An otherwise attractive candidate gets the boot because his logbook contains PIC time for which the pilot was not rated. Legal interpretations aside, most airline hiring boards will not accept PIC time unless you were also acting as PIC.

nope.......after 1991!
Then it's a very good question: If you have a type rating in an aircraft with a tailwheel, do you =also= need the endorsement?

A strict reading of 61.31 would seem to suggest that you do. And, although it doesn't deal with tailwheels in particular, the language in Paragraph 4b of AC 61-89E, "Pilot Certificates: Aircraft Type Ratings", suggests that at the time of your DC3 type rating, you should have =also= received a tailwheel endorsement:

==============================
Most airplanes that require type ratings have more than 200 horsepower (or the equivalent thrust), pressurization, and service ceilings and/or maximum operating altitudes above 25,000 feet mean sea level. Pilots would therefore be required to receive both a high-performance endorsement and a high-altitude endorsement in their logbook or training record before acting as pilot in command of those airplanes. If they do not have the endorsements when they begin training for the type rating, the training for those endorsements may be included in the type rating curriculum if the airplane for which the type rating is required fits the appropriate description. However, separate logbook or training record endorsements must be issued for the type rating, high-performance, and/or high-altitude training, as appropriate.
==============================

Hows that for absurdity? Sounds like technically you can't act as PIC in the aircraft you're type rated for!!

midlifeflyer said:
Then it's a very good question: If you have a type rating in an aircraft with a tailwheel, do you =also= need the endorsement?

A strict reading of 61.31 would seem to suggest that you do. And, although it doesn't deal with tailwheels in particular, the language in Paragraph 4b of AC 61-89E, "Pilot Certificates: Aircraft Type Ratings", suggests that at the time of your DC3 type rating, you should have =also= received a tailwheel endorsement...
I would say you DO need a tailwheel endorsement as well...My understanding is that if you train a student in a tailwheel airplane, you can send him out solo and on solo x/c's, but before you send him up for his checkride, you need to give him a tailwheel endorsement so that, in the event that he passes, he can legally fly home.

Unfortunately I can't come up with a reference for that.

Fly safe!

David

MauleSkinner said:
I would say you DO need a tailwheel endorsement as well...My understanding is that if you train a student in a tailwheel airplane, you can send him out solo and on solo x/c's, but before you send him up for his checkride, you need to give him a tailwheel endorsement

In the case of a student pilot, the endorsement is on his student pilot certificate. That's an endorsement. He does not need another one. Well, 61.31 says "logbook endorsement", but I don't think an NTSB judge would entertain that kind of nitpicking.

But...back to the DC-3 type should have been endorsed for the checkride, although, again, the judge wouldn't go for that as a violation, either.

Latest resources

Back