Tail wheel biennial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

Can you give someone a Biennial flight review in a tail wheel if you don't have the endorsement yourself? I don't think you can,but someone is telling me you can. Just a little bet were trying to solve.

One more question. Where in the FAR's can a person find the needed endorsements for airplanes. ( i.e. High altitude, high performance and so on)

Thanks

Last edited:

F16fixer said:
Thanks. I guess I'll have him do his review in a 172 and call it a day.
S'matter? Chicken?
Naw, jes' kidden'...actually, you can - if you don't have to be the PIC. If the flight reviewee is current in the tailwheel and you have the trust in him and his performance, you can ride with him, evaluate the performance, and endorse a flight review.

nosehair said:
S'matter? Chicken?
Naw, jes' kidden'...actually, you can - if you don't have to be the PIC. If the flight reviewee is current in the tailwheel and you have the trust in him and his performance, you can ride with him, evaluate the performance, and endorse a flight review.

True. But I'd still be hesitant to give one in something I've never flown.
I did a flight review for a guy who earned his Private over 20 years ago in a 172, owns / solely flies a Luscombe, and now only operates under Sport Pilot rules. I talked to the FSDO about it and they said we could do it in the Luscombe if he agreed to be PIC, or a 172 if I agreed to be PIC. We did it in the 172, but I still had to ask him sport pilot rules & taildragger currency regs.... Anyway, I digress.... :)

By giving the req'd one hour instruction, doesn't that make me the acting PIC? Just trying to get a quick answer. Not trying to start the whole acting versus sole manipulator discussion again. I understand the difference just not sure how it applies to this situation.

down2mins said:
True. But I'd still be hesitant to give one in something I've never flown.
I did a flight review for a guy who earned his Private over 20 years ago in a 172, owns / solely flies a Luscombe, and now only operates under Sport Pilot rules. I talked to the FSDO about it and they said we could do it in the Luscombe if he agreed to be PIC, or a 172 if I agreed to be PIC. We did it in the 172, but I still had to ask him sport pilot rules & taildragger currency regs.... Anyway, I digress.... :)

F16fixer said:
By giving the req'd one hour instruction, doesn't that make me the acting PIC?
Giving instruction does not automaticly make you the PIC. It is implied in most cases, but should be understood between two current pilots who are PIC qualified.
But you can be an instructor on board who is not the PIC, but is a hired teacher to the PIC. That's how you can be an instructor without a medical.

F16fixer said:
By giving the req'd one hour instruction, doesn't that make me the acting PIC?

No, not at all. There's nothing about being an instructor that makes you the PIC. You may log it as such, but that is not the same as being PIC.

Think about this example. Say I needed a flight review (I am not out of currency yet) and hired a 300 hour instructor to administer a flight review in my 180. Do you suppose that would make him Pilot in Command of my airplane? An airplane which I own, one in which my hours in that specific airplane are much greater than the total aviation experience he poseses?

I think it would be presumptious in the extreme for him to assume that he was the actual PIC in that scenario. That is not to say that I believe there's nothing he could possibly teach me. I'm willing to consider that I could learn something from anyone. Certainly, if things were going haywire, I would consider his input. But; allow him to take command of my own airplane and operate it contrary to my decisions? Not a chance in He11

Ideally, these roles would be sorted out to a mutual understanding before the flight, but if that converstation began with him telling me that he would be the pilot in command, the flight review would end right there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back